Will President Obama take a new VP?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by gecko, Apr 21, 2011.

1. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

If he decides to change first he needs to make sure the person can stay awake.

I don't know who it might be if he does it but it won't be Hillary.

3. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Picking Hillary would not be good for the longevity of his adminstration.

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

i like biden, he makes palin look intelligent.

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think it's a bad idea because it's an admission of poor judgment. He has a much better chance letting the media spin/ignore Biden for him than he does dumping him and having to answer the questions about it directly.

6. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

i agree with Prodigal. Obama will be stuck between a rock and a hard place on this. If he swaps VP, he admits that his cohort was/is not strong enough to bolster his agenda, and shows an a lack of proper judgment in picking leadership. On the other hand, if he leaves Biden as VP, he continues to play political chess with only one bishop available before the game is begun.

My guess is that if he does switch up the status quo, he'll choose a VP viewed in the media as centrist as possible, while less publicly being on board with his agendas.

7. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

8. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

FDR had 3 different running mates. Thank God he picked Truman in 1944.

The rule of thumb for a running mate is the same as the Oath that DR.'s take "First do no harm".

Veeps seldom have any power to deliver votes (LBJ delivered Texas), but that was really at the beginning of mass media.

Since then the VP candidates have been:

Humphrey
    Miller

Agnew
    Muskie

Agnew
    Shriver

Dole
    Mondale

Mondale
    George Sr.

George Sr.
    Ferraro

Bentsen
    Quayle

Gore***
    Quayle

Gore
    Kemp

Lieberman
    Cheney

Cheney
    Edwards

Biden
    Palin

***Although it wasn't a factor in the Clinton win, Gore did help delivere Tenn. One R's start losing confederate states they have a hard time winning, Although he couldn't carry Tenn when running against W. Eleven electoral votes is a jack pot.

That being said, I do not think he drops Biden.

9. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I don't think it harms Obama if they find a new VP. Biden was brought aboard for his experience. Obama will have been president for three and a half years by the time the convention rolls around, it could easily be argued that Biden made his contribution and it is appreciated.

Maybe Obama could take a pitcher of warm piss as a running mate. The reference to Cactus Jack might get him Texas, after all. [​IMG]

10. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

all I can say is I hope there is a new VP in 2012 [​IMG]

yella,
    thank you for the information. It is great to see that all laid out like that. I don't know that Gore delivered TN for Clinton as much as Perot did. I can't find the numbers, but I would be willing to bet like many typically GOP states that went Blue in 92, it was due in large part (not totally) to the votes that went from Bush Sr. to Perot.

11. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

obama should pick sharpton; it might shake loose some of the batshit crazy vote that the gop has a seeming stranglehold on right now. [​IMG]

12. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Yeah I'd like to see an exit poll of the Batshit Crazy folks in 2008. Pretty sure McCain did not come close to carrying that demographic.

13. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

14. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

i like biden, he makes palin look intelligent.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Even when Joe's asleep he looks smarter than Palin to me.

15. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

The Hopey Changey, I don't have to pay my mortgage crowd = BSC.

16. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Everyone that thought we were leaving Iraq and closing Gitmo = BSC.

17. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

18. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Look I absolutely agree that we should expect better than The Donald, but I can't help but think he'd be a huge improvement over what we have right now. I know we as a country can do better.

19. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I do know one thing, the GOP VP candidate will be a major factor in the campaign. I believe the GOP VP candidate will be either Governor Christie or Congressman Ryan. That will be one helluva bulldog to attack the President. They will both wipe Biden with the map in any debate and it will cause major major concern for the Obama campaign. I think you might actually see the VP be a major player in the campaign. Would love to see the media go after either one of them like they did Palin.

20. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

21. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Can any liberal on here list something good for the country this administration has done. Maybe healthcare or has anybody read the bill yet.

22. GreenDragonSix

GreenDragonSix 100+ Posts

23. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Oprah will be Obama's next running mate. Too much of a coincidence that she is ending her show this close to the election.

24. bub

bub 100+ Posts

Nope. Biden is kinda kick ***.