winning out and recruiting

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by mop, Oct 27, 2013.

1. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

ok, so assuming (yeah, I know, I know) we were to win out and win a big BCS bowl game and finish the season in the top 10, how would this help our recruiting? I still want Mack to gracefully retire after a good season/great recovery to a potentially bad season and for us to hire Art Briles (yeah, I would prefer him to Saban by a long shot because Briles is a class act who has done amazing things at a school like Baylor). so if we win our bowl, Mack announces his retirement, We quickly hire Briles, can we still end up with a good or even great recruiting class?

2. 22 HORN

22 HORN 250+ Posts

Class would be good but with so many 3 stars committed to Texas and little very little room for adding 4 / 5 stars, it will be difficult to have a great class. But look at what he has accomplished at Baylor!

3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The problem with our recruiting purgatory right now is that Mack has to look kids/parents in the eye and state "I'm not going anywhere." If he had an actual plan to retire, we would have heard about it from multiple sources by now. Recruits and their parents are notoriously loose-lipped with other coaches.

So even if we pull in a couple 4-or-5-star guys over the next 3 months, Mack has resorted to using his snake oil once again. It worked when he was younger and we were up-and-coming, not unlike Sumlin with A&M right now. Winning out and him retiring seems unlikely, given his contract and relatively low buyout. As awesome as 10-2 could be for our program as a whole, and our 2014 recruiting, it's not awesome from the standpoint of Mack sticking around forever. But if we finish 7-5 and he's still telling kids "yeah of course I'll be back next year," then we're going to have some messy recruiting battles and decommits come January.

4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

This scenario would certainly help, but with this year being full everything would hinge on having another successful season next year.