Wireless Printing

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Jeevsie, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

OK, so I have a desktop running Windows ME and just got a laptop running Vista. I setup my wireless network but can't print wirelessly. Actually, I don't know if I can see the desktop either, now that I think about it.

I have checked file sharing and printer sharing on the desktop, but when I attempt to add a printer on the laptop, it searches for a networked printer and doesn't find anything.

What else to try?

2. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

You need to make sure the 2 computers are on the same workgroup. Then go to network places/network neighborhood and look for computers near me or entire network. You will be able to see the other pc from here. Double click on it and you should see the shared printer. Double click on the printer and it should install itself.

3. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

Alright, they're both on the same workgroup now. I can see and access files from the desktop from the laptop. When I try to add the printer, it sees the printer, but it won't add it. Connecting to Printer comes up, then errors: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed. Error 0x00000866."

4. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

I just answered my own issue. Vista now considers the printer to be a local printer, not networked. Prints just fine, now!

5. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

Alternatively, you could get a Linksys print server that you could plug your printer into directly and get it off the one computer. It costs money, but doesn't force you to keep your dedicated print server/PC from being booted all the time.

6. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts