wireless router/connection

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by orangebones, Aug 19, 2005.

1. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

this is a simple question that may have a simple answer: is there anyway to keep your computer from randomly dropping a signal and switching to a different router? I have my laptop on my desk; my wireless router is about a foot away, and every couple of minutes my computer drops my router and connects to a neighbor's (with virtually no signal strength). Any way to fix this?

2. MissingInAction

MissingInAction 100+ Posts

You have your NIC set to roam, but it should stay with the best signal. You need to configure it to remain static. What brand is it? D-link, netgear, and linksys blow.

3. Horns_House

Horns_House 100+ Posts

this is a problem inherent in certain windows based software with certain routers. the short of it is you have to acquire a signal and then disable windows from automatically selecting a network. the only issue is when you restart your computer, you have to enable it again, aquire a signal and then disable it again. i think there were some different software programs out there than you could buy that would get around it too.

4. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

i went for the $30 netgear...[​IMG]....what i get i suppose

5. WhoooTex

WhoooTex 100+ Posts

I believe disabling the "Let Windows Configure My WIreless Settings" setting will take care of that. Get it to where it's working, then uncheck that box and Windows will stop looking for alternate signals.

You should also turn off the SSID broadcast on your router. Much more secure that way.

6. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

thanks yall, i think that took care of it (and i disabled my SSID broadcast as well)

7. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

Why, if your router is only a foot away, are you using wireless? I can understand having the router for other computers in the house, but why not have that one computer connected throgh a LAN line?

8. beckenham

beckenham < 25 Posts

How does one shut off the SSID? Also, I have a linksys, and when I do not use the internet for awhile, it will say it is connected but nothing happens when I click on a web page.

Any ideas?

I guess this should probably be on HornDepot.

9. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

I have just been through all this and the things I read say that disabling your SSID broadcast doesnt mean much because any decent sniffer program can find it. In addition, WEP isnt the greatest either.

To be secure you need WPA-PSK encryption and you need to log on at the MAC address level. Whether you can do all that will probably depend on your provider, your operating system and your router.

The nerds on here can give you better guidance but just a heads up. You dont want any false sense of security, especially when this stuff is so easy to fix.

I use SBCYahoo, 2Wire router and WinXP and I am a Luddite. The whole deal took about 20 minutes to set up. Plus I have PC Cillin to monitor any other Wi-Fi attacks.

10. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

i used to have my wireless network as an unsecured one. i lived in a house at the time and i wasn't worried about my neighbors jumping on the network.

i just recently moved into an apartment complex and went to now using a WEP enabled secured network.

i will say this, my computer used to always lose connection. it would look like it was connected but i would have to go to the wireless networks, disconnect and then reconnect. then i would be back on.

since i have gone to the WEP enabled, that never happens.

of course i have a post on here now where i am having problems getting my wife's computer on the wireless network............

and i have a linksys.

11. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

12. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

another solution would be to delete the other network from the list of options

I do this at my house just because I do not want to see my neighbor's open networks