Workout Energy Boost?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Bevo5, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

What do you guys take before a big workout? I'm switching from doing a more cardio-based routine to hitting up the weights more and I'm finding that after like 30min of lifting I'm spent. I'd like to increase that time...and obviously as I lift more I'll get stronger etc.

But as far as like energy drinks, pills, etc. What would you recommend? I don't like the idea of chugging 400calories before each workout, is that the only way?

2. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

you're doing a completely different type of workout, so you are going to gas sooner than usual. it is going to take a while to get used to that type of workout and a drink/pill isn't going to change that.

Are your trying to put on mass or what is the reason for switching? Just a change of pace?

3. Kwisatz

Kwisatz 500+ Posts

pre-workout: protein and carbs. 1/4 gram per pound of body weight* of each.
    post-workout: same but double the carbs.

Personally I have oatmeal, a banana, and a protein shake for breakfast before, then another protein shake and fruit after. I wouldn't worry too much about the source just find something that's convenient for you.

* target body weight, not current body weight.

4. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

Try eating a little something 30 min before.

5. The Bloak

The Bloak 100+ Posts

I will usually eat a protein bar (with a solid amount of carbs) and take half a scoop of Whey protein before my workout- throw in a sugarfree Red Bull if I am feeling sluggish that day.

Post-workout I will drink a Gatorade and take a full scoop of Whey within 30 minutes of my lift.

I was reading on a workout site that post-workout, obviously the Whey is important for an infusion of protein, but a drink like Powerade or Gatorade is really good because it gives your body the necessary carbs and sugar it needs (and quickly) as your muscles are spent and looking to refuel. Keeps your body from cannabilizing the muscle you are trying to build.

I also don't do cardio. If you move between sets fast enough, it increases your heartrate. By all accounts, you can't build muscle AND lose fat at the same time so if its muscle you want to add, I would avoid intense cardio. A lot of your muscle gains also depends on your body type.