World Series Game 5

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Hook 'Em Danno, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

I think I've seen this movie before. Through 2 innings, CJ has thrown 55 pitches (29 for strikes), has issued 3 walks, committed a throwing error, and trails 2-0. What's the deal with this guy?

2. Hook 'Em Danno

Bottom of 2nd:

Moreland's bat comes out of hibernation and delivers a home run to right field with 1 out. 2-1 Cards.

After the 2nd out, Rangers get back-to-back hits: bunt single for Elvis and single to left for Josh before MY grounds out to SS on 2nd pitch of the at bat.

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Danno, the deal is he over thinks under pressure. Not a staff ace and literally is losing millions with every inning he pitches.

4. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

story of the series. cards have to do very little to manufacture their runs(esp with wilson pitching) we have to get hit after hit after hit... both cards runs so far from back to back walks to start the 2nd.

5. Hook 'Em Danno

Hallelujah. CJ retires the side in order in the top of the 3rd, but throws lots of pitches to get there. Pitch count now at 76. At this rate, the Rangers will probably have to go to the bullpen by the 5th (if not sooner).

6. Hook 'Em Danno

Rangers go quickly and quietly in the 4th before CJ promptly gives up a lead-off single to the No. 8 hitter (playing in his first game this series) and walks the No. 9 hitter on 4 pitches. I'm about to put my foot through the television. [​IMG]

7. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

if holliday gets a hit here this game is pretty much dead the way we're swinging against carpenter.

8. Hook 'Em Danno

Well, CJ leaves 'em loaded in the top of the 5th. Pitch count hits 100, of which only 52 were for strikes. Yikes!

9. Hook 'Em Danno

Bottom of the 5th: With two outs, Kins gets on via an error before Elvis flies out to center. Still 2-1 Cards going to the 6th.

10. Hook 'Em Danno

CJ gets the lead-off man out in the 6th, then gives up a single to Freese. Wash goes to the pen for Feldman. CJ's line looks familiar: Only two runs (1 earned) and 4 hits, but throws 108 pitches (just over half were strikes), walks 5, has a throwing error and a wild pitch. Not a good way to go into free agency.

Feldman gets the next two batters to retire the side. Heart of the order coming up in the bottom of 6. Time to get some runs boys!!

11. Hook 'Em Danno

YES!!! Bottom of 6th, Beltre goes deep with 2 outs!!! [​IMG]
    2-2 tie.

Cruz and Murphy follow the HR with back-to-back singles. Runners on the corners. How about a repeat of last night's at bat, Nap? Almost---drive to deep center field was caught at the warning track.

New game as we go to the 7th. Ogando on to pitch. Let's hope his appearance ends better than last time.

12. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

napoli comes 5 feet away from being named series MVP if the rangers were to hold on and win.... damn! new ballgame... i can't take this ********!

13. Hook 'Em Danno

Top of 7: Ogando strikes out the lead-off hitter and then walks his nemesis (Craig) and gets to face his other nemesis (Pujols) with one on and one out.

Wow, Craig is subsequently caught trying to steal 2nd and Pujols is promptly walked intentionally. Holliday follows with a 2 out single, leaving runners at 2nd and 3rd. Berkman is walked intentionally to bring up Freese--a righty-righty matchup--and he flies out on the 1st pitch.

End of the inning. Still tied at 2. [​IMG]

14. Hook 'Em Danno

Carpenter works around a 2 out walk in the 7th. Only throws 12 pitches to do so.

On to the 8th and the bottom of the Cards order--- a gauntlet for Rangers pitchers whose last names are not Lewis or Holland.

15. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

it was a 1 out walk. you forgot andrus terrible at bat with 1 out to try and move kinsler into scoring position. striking out on 3 pitches.

16. Hook 'Em Danno

Top of the 8th: Molina leads off with an infield hit on a 1-2 pitch, moves to 2nd on sacrifice bunt, and Oliver comes on to strike out Punto and get Fucal to ground out.

Onto the bottom of the 8th. MY, Beltre, and Cruz coming up.

17. Hook 'Em Danno

You're right sblazer. My bad. I guess I had already blotted out Elvis' awful at bat from my memory.

18. Hook 'Em Danno

Alright!! Dotel on to pitch for the Cards and MY greets him with a lead off double. DO NOT STRAND HIM AT 2ND!!!

GRRRR--Beltre goes down on 3 high fastballs (none were strikes, though one was a called strike). 1 down. They Cards will walk Cruz to get to Murphy and then bring on a lefty.

Rangers catch a break as Murph gets an infield single to load the bases. Up comes Napoli with one out. Repeat from last night?

YYYEEESSSS! 2-run double for Napoli. 4-2 Texas!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Moreland goes down on strikes. Pitching change for Kinsler, who is intentionally walked (by Lynn), and then LaRussa changes pitchers again???? Motte will face Andrus, who strikes out on 3 pitches.

To the top of the 9th, where Feliz will face the heart of the Cards order. Anyone have any Rolaids?

19. Hook 'Em Danno

I think I've seen this movie too. Feliz gets ahead of the lead-off guy (1-2) and then hits him. [​IMG] Now he gets to face Pujols as the tying run.

Oh my word-- Feliz strikes out of Pujols and Nap throws out Craig for a DP. [​IMG]

C'mon Feliz. One more out.

Still needs one more out after walking Holliday. [​IMG]

Ball game as Berkman goes down on strikes!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After last night there was no way I was posting tonight and yep my little part again!

What a game. CJ Wilson gave me about twenty heart attacks. Moreland and Beltre with the bombs and then Napoli coming through again.

3-2 the hard way winning a game that Carpenter started. Now the chance to win it in six with Colby on the mound. [​IMG]

21. Dewbrewer

Dewbrewer 500+ Posts

Woohoo!! ONE MORE WIN!!! Go Rangers!!! All nails bitten off so none left for game 6. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

this has seriously been the most draining series i can remember. maybe moreso than the mavericks...

23. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

C'mon Colby!

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

My heart pretty much has nothing left now. How many pitches did Feliz throw when we were one strike away from winning the match? By my count EIGHT, I think. Then finally he gets a swing and a miss and Napoli can't catch the ball. I just about died right there but then saw that the ball hit him and rolled 2/3d of the way to first... Gosh, what a way to finish it. I will take it whichever way it comes.

But what a night Napoli had!! Amazing.

R.J.

25. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

The talking heads keep saying this is one of the least watched World Series in a long time. If true, a lot of people are missing one of the most compelling series in my 65 year old memory! This is like two heavyweight boxers evenly matched going toe-to-toe. This series ought to win the Emmy for drama, and I'm NOT saying this because I'm a Ranger homer, although I'm rapidly becoming one.

26. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Our bandwagon is large and growing every day. Jump on, Coolhorn, and enjoy the ride. We'll make a Zealot out of you!

What a pickup Napoli was!! It's almost 6:20 am and my heart is STILL pounding!

Go [​IMG] Rangers!!

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

FWHORN, hope Rina doesn't interfere with your watching games 6 & 7.

28. IPLonghorns

IPLonghorns 250+ Posts

29. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Viper, it is making a long slow semi circle around us. Hopefully it doesnt change its track and get any closer than it is now as it moves first to our south and then later this week to our north. Weirdest track I have seen in a while.

We have a ton of flooding but not the winds that affect the tv signal. Wednesday night I have to teach so I will be following along online until the later innings constantly hitting refresh on the live updates.

[​IMG]

30. Rayug

Rayug 100+ Posts

This series has aged me a few years...I feel like I drank too much last night.