Worried about Maryland...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gahornphan, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think the Beck as coordinator situation is the source of any discontent.

2. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

There was one game last year that still felt like Charlie was coaching. That it was Charlie’s team. The effort was like the previous 4 or 5 years. That was the Maryland game. We just seem to play half assed the whole game for the most part. The rest of the season we showed up to play with a much better effort. When we lost, it wasn’t because lack of effort. From that point on it was Tom’s team. I strongly believe we get at least 10 wins this season.

I feel better about this game than I do any other game this season outside of the RRR. We will win this game by double digits.

3. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I feel confident we will win. After having lost at home and Maryland having won on the road seems like the attitude of the players will be exactly opposite . We should not be overconfident and they probably feel if they can win on the road they will win at home. It seems like there is a lot of disruption in Maryland over the death of a player. I am thinking we will have turtle stew for dinner.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I don't know if I would characterize the Maryland game as "half assed". I think "lost" is a better term for what we saw that day. They were trying, but they were just failing left and right. I think, as Herman said afterwards, they got in a live game and reverted back to 3 years of piss poor habits learned under Strong (not word for word what Tom said, but it's precisely what was implied). Agreed that afterwards, we never saw that level of ineptitude again, and there is absolutely no reason to expect to see it this year. I'm pretty bullish on this team.

5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I have agreed it to be wise to be on our toes, but I do believe we will beat Maryland...and likely make a statement in the process. If we go in and smack down a team that upset us at home last year, right or wrong, it will be viewed as a real statement by many....and probably feel that way to the team.

6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Even better as WVU offense only scored 7, but on the other hand without Will Grier for most of the game so it probably doesn't mean much.

Agreed, but for all the grief we gave Mack about having OU in his head (much of it deserved), Gundy is 2-11 against them.

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If TH can avoid stupid mistakes, let other programs fall on their sword (tOSU, Aggie, etc), I think he will have UT at the top in next 5 years. Yes, I believe he has a lot to learn. Recall Mack learned a lot at UNC before coming to Texas, was able to fail without much scrutiny.

8. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I suppose it is a good thing to go to Maryland to face a team in some state of turmoil.

I just wish the turmoil wasn't generated by such a tragic event.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Losing to this dumpster fire might be worse than losing to Kansas at home.

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's a surprise. I thought Evans would fired before anyone but the S&C guy

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My biggest concern about losing at RFK, is in the parking lot - watch, wallet, cash or worse. Still, RFK is safer than College Puke and Cole-Bird (or is it now just Cole or just Bird)

• Like Like x 1
  13. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

will there be decent scalp ticks at game time?

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

In DC, more like, "Meet Mr Glock; tickets, wallet, jewlery, or he heats up".

I really don't expect a large Maryland crowd, unless RFK offers free admission, free tattoos, and possible crack smoking privileges in the restrooms. This game could set the New York Ave cleanup project back a decade.

Seriously, I think scalper prices just took a dive.

15. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Coach Durkin and three members of his staff put on leave.

16. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Game is at FedEx in Landover.

18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

This could divide the Terps, or unite and make them mad as hell.

We better be ready for the latter.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you. Better consider changing hotels. I can always Uber over to TuneInn for lunch.

20. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I am not worried about the Maryland game. We open on the road with our Storm Trooper whites and that is the baddest uniform in college football.

For this soul reason, we kick their *** like Darth Vader at a Jedi convention.

• Like Like x 3
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Military,

Be careful, you don't know what kind of clown costume Plank will parade his team out in. They may be so atrocious our players will down 28-0 because they can't stop laughing.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  22. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Did you forget about the mid to late 80's? At one point, Texas couldn't recruit off the Texas top 100 much less the national top 100.

Too much was made last year about Beck, I don't care if we had Pete Carroll running our offense, you can't squeeze blood from a stone, and you can't run a offense with no offensive linemen, and that is what Beck was trying to do.

Agree 100%, I saw a lot of improvement from this team after Maryland, the team that ended last year would have monkey stomped Maryland.

I think this game is going to be a blowout now.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If the team has any pride and self esteem, they will show up and play hard for themselves. Canada is coaching for Durkin's job. Unless Plank opens the checkbook, Durkin is history and likely the new AD as well. Not much interest in the job. No recruiting base; limited funds; horrible division in their conference; inner city campus; bad facilities. I fully expect them to be turned down by there first half dozen candidates.

This job is so bad that neither Todd Graham nor Les Miles will apply.

Will Plank abandon his school or keep trying to improve the situation, which has been declining since they fired the Fridge?

24. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I think this game is going to be a blowout now.[/QUOTE] I saw the spread moved from Texas -10 to as much as -14 today

• Like Like x 1
  25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I saw the spread moved from Texas -10 to as much as -14 today[/QUOTE]
    Maybe they beat us by 14.

Anytime you take your opponent for granted is when you get your azz handed to you.

• Like Like x 8
  26. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

'cept they'll be wearing black shoes.

I think TH is concerned about that effect, so he tipped off the press about the heatstroke death.

• Like Like x 1
  27. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Briles will apply.

• Like Like x 1
  28. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I agree with him on the whole sources rant.

29. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

He can always use the line, no one ever died on his watch.

• Like Like x 2
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Believe it or not, I dreamed of Texas losing to Maryland last night. One of those frustrating losses where we had chances to win but blew it (like USC, OSU, TT last year).