Would someone post a good crockpot chili recipe?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by johnny chimpo, Oct 23, 2007.

1. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

2. Fanny McLonghorn

Fanny McLonghorn 100+ Posts

Step 1.

SOAK BEANS.

3. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

4. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Remember, don't add the spaghetti till the end.

5. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Honestly, if you're going the crockpot route, I would just use Carroll Shelby's chili kit. HEB carries it.

[​IMG]

It is just seasoning pouches, and you add as much or as little of each as you want, along with whatever else you want in your chili.

Just brown ground beef and a diced onion, add diced tomatoes, the seasoning mixes, and water, and you'll have some good chili. [​IMG]

6. tx 3 putt

tx 3 putt 100+ Posts

Do you add the noodles in with everything else or at the end ??

Don't forget sour cream to top it off.

If you want to look like a prooooofessional, try using three different type of beans, pinto, kidney and naval.

<insert New York state flag here>

7. TexasHooch

TexasHooch 100+ Posts

Johnny, asking that question on this board is like going to Cactus and asking what everyone's favorite Creed album is. The fact is, there are millions of people who love crock pot Chili, just as there are millions that love Creed... they just don't post here.

I did do a quick search for you. Browse them and pick the one that looks good.

The Link

8. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

Whoa, what's up with all the crockpot-hate? And Creed sucks now too? I thought you just weren't supposed to ask about chili w/ beans recipes. I want to load that badboy up before work and come home to chili. Pretty funny responses though.

9. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

i also didn't know that there was such a thing as crock pot hate

10. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

My response was serious.

I have never made chili in a crockpot, but I have used the Carroll Shelby mix. It really is good.

Other than browning the ground beef(or venison...mmm), cooking chili in a crockpot would be simple, and would allow the flavors to meld all day while you're at work. Tell us how it turns out. [​IMG]

11. Brak

Brak 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

Wick Fowler!
    Never tried Carroll Shelby (isn't he a race car driver) but Wick Fowler is the standard for chili mixes. Sells about 10-1 compared to the Carroll Shelby.

The only thing you have to worry about is what type of meat to use. Nice thing about using a crock pot is that you can use stew meat and it will get very tender. Cook for about 6-8 hours on low in the crock pot.

12. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

13. Liteitup

Liteitup < 25 Posts

Comes down to personal taste. I've tried both Shelby and Wick's chili mix. Wick wins hands down IMHO.

14. BayouCityOrange

BayouCityOrange 25+ Posts

I prefer a bowl of chili to-go from Applebee's. More authentic that way.

15. Horn_Spanker

Horn_Spanker 250+ Posts

You Magnificent ********!

With your inspiration, I now have some Wick Fowler's simmering on the stove.

16. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I make my chili in a crock pot. But I use beans so I am a blasphemer.

1 lb of ground beef (I use turkey because it's leaner.)
    1 can mild Ro-Tel
    1 can Light Red Kidney Beans
    1 can Chili Beans
    1 can Black Beans (wait to add these until about 2 hours before you want to eat otherwise they break down.)
    Chili powder (season to taste. I use 3-4 tbsp)
    Cumin (I use 2-3 tbsp)

I cook the meat, pour everything but the Black Beans in and cook on low for 3-4 hours. The Black Beans get added 90 minutes or so before serving.

Fire away. I know most people don't like beans in their chili.