Wyoming Game Time

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by seb44, Jul 30, 2012.

1. seb44

seb44 250+ Posts

Last night at the San Antonio Longhorn Club Kickoff event Mack Brown said the Wyoming game time would be set at 7:00 p.m.

He said plans were in the works to have Darrell Royal at midfield for the coin toss.
    He also said that it was a good possibility that Earl Campbell would be able to walk to midfield for the coin toss in the game against New Mexico State.

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

[deloss]But... but... the average temp is cooler at 11 a.m.! The Weather Channel says so![/deloss]

3. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

I'm just glad we're not playing Wofford this year. It gives me hope for an undefeated season.

4. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

11am is the SUCK, and everyone and their mother knows this!!

5. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Taps, he's kidding...I hope. It's actually fact what he typed but I bet tv may have had something to do with it. I hope that is the case as I like night games.

7. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Yea, I realize he's being a smartass in trying to "quote" Dodds.

If the players can hit people at 11am I can certainly sit on my *** in the sun while they do it.

8. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

um, if DKR has Alzheimer's, he may not want to be there. He won't remember the incident five minutes later. I'm against this.

Earl, that's another story, that is so exciting that he can walk again!!

9. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

10. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

11. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Yea Taps, I knew you were one of these:

12. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

Did I really just read that? A "fan" thinking DKR's Alzheimers is something to joke about.

Even ags have shown more class and respect

13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Re: DKR. Two deceased relatives in our family had Alzheimers. You just continue on with regular activities and life with them as best you and they can. You don't not do things because you think they won't remember. I don't know what stage DKR is in, but he MIGHT just remember this coin toss - none of us will really know... and everyone at that game will sure remember it and appreciate him still being able to participate.

He better get a long standing ovation [​IMG]

14. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

15. No le hace

No le hace 500+ Posts

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

It says plans are in the works. That, to me, means they are assessing the situation and making sure he's okay with it and not parading him out there like a pony or something. That it would be done right and with proper respect with all concerned taken into account.

[​IMG]

17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I trust The University and DKR's physician's and his family to be able to assess Coach Royal's health and abilility to be there for the coin toss or not.

Personally, I hope he can. He always will be one of my favorite Longhorns. He was a role model for me when I was a kid. I guess that was true for most of my adult life as well. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who knew how to handle both great accomplishments and great disappointment with the dignity and class as Coach Royal.

18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

DKR on the field would be so great, even more so with Earl. [​IMG]

19. Number_6

Number_6 100+ Posts

If DKR and Earl participate, I hope it's because they want to be there, and aren't being pressured into anything. I don't want Dodds to use those men like they were some kind of prop or gimmick to fill seats.

20. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I think Dodds has good intentions here... DKR & Earl coin flips may not have been his idea but how much longer will the fans be able to give proper public recognition to Coach Royal in the stadium named after him... unfortunately there may not be an opportunity to do this again in the future. With Earl getting his life turned around and walking again - I think we fans all need to give him some new and well deserved public recognition for not only the past but the present as well.

If Coach Royal can participate in the coin toss, I suspect there will be a lot of misty eyes in the stadium and watching on video, including mine. Maybe the same with Earl...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

I had a grandfather with Alzheimer's, much worse than DKR's, and he wasn't even the same person that we knew. I know very little of DKR's status, except that he supposedly asked his wife "Did I have something to do with that?", in reference to the Texas Football program.

You have no way of knowing how bad it will be. It's not like he will suddenly remember that he was our winningest coach of all time. Almost certainly it will not help him. It would be great for the fans, but it won't do anything for the greatest coach in Texas history, because it will be gone from his memory five minutes after it happens.

You're being selfish to demand something like that, because it's only for you.

It might be great for Coach's family, for a little while, but it won't do anything for him.

22. TEXASMADE

TEXASMADE 250+ Posts

I assume y'all just locked poor ol gramps in a closet and never included him in any family activities because hell he can't remember anyway in 2 minutes plus it'd only be self gratification for you to act like he is still a human being?????

You should be ashamed of yourself. How do you wake up and look at yourself in the mirror every morning. You make me sick.

23. seb44

seb44 250+ Posts

24. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

25. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Let's get this straight, no one cares more for DKR than his wife, his family, and Mack. They're not going to do anything that would jeopardize his health. FYI, Royal attended the Texas Gridiron Kickoff on July 25 so he does and is able to get out of the house.

See photo 13

26. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

you don't get it, yes you have grandpa involved in family activites, but no, you don't have the person get out there in front of 100,000 screaming people.

There's a HUGE difference. You want to have the person involved in normal activities, not abnormal, re: 100,000 screaming people activities.

Now, I don't know what DKR's family does regularly, but having him walk out there in front of 100,000 screaming people is NOT a regular normal activity.

27. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

Alzheimer's is a disease and as it progresses it worsens. I do not believe DK is at a point with his fight were he should be locked up. And of all ppl who else would be more prepared to face 100k screaming fans. DK has always had icewater flowing threw his viens! My eyes wont just be misty they will be on flood watch

28. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

29. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

My father died of this horrible disease.

I can see where some might think, because they have personal experience with an afflicted family member, they might know better than most what is right for others.
    I don't agree. Each situation, and progression of the disease is different.

In my opinion, only Mrs. Royal, and perhaps to a limited degree Coach, with the support of those closest to them, know what is right for him. Even in late stages my father (like all afflicted individuals) still had opinions and wishes that deserved to be respected when possible.

I am also quite sure Coach's best interests are the concern of everyone involved. And it is pretty hard for me to believe anyone could intimidate Mrs. Royal into a wrong decision.

I'm hoping the Coach is having a great week leading up to the game, and he is able to soak up all the love and admiration we have for him.

30. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

good stuff geezer