Yale yes Texas no

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by RabidLonghorn, Jun 1, 2008.

1. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

If she was #5 out of a class of 125 then obviously she is top 10%. Did she contact admissions to correct the mistake of not admitting her? Makes no sense.

2. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

She could have been late on the app, or didn't give them everything they wanted.

3. Bobbs40

Bobbs40 100+ Posts

Was she completely rejected by the university, or did she just not get accepted to the college she wanted?

4. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

She sent out 5 apps and got expected by 4 and rejected by Texas. [​IMG]

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I think we are ignoring one possibility here. Odd thought, but maybe Texas didn't want her. Now, I am NOT saying she is not qualified to go to Texas, but my understanding is that one of the components is an essay now as well. Maybe there was something in that that the admissions department didn't like. All of those schools are great schools, but Texas is no slouch. There is still a great deal of arbitrariness in the admissions process. I knew a girl when I lived in Chicago who got into Brown, but rejected by Wheaton College. She (and I) were shocked. Sometimes those things just don't make sense, which is why people should apply to more than one place.

6. Bevo04

Bevo04 100+ Posts

7. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

since the top 10% rule applies to private schools, she is an auto-accept if she is top 10%.

she must have screwed up her application, as BiH stated. untimely, incomplete, something.

8. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

She is obviously from out of state.
    Any in-state recent HS grad in the top 10% is in.

9. RabidLonghorn

Read back, she is from Dallas.

10. gsoda3

gsoda3 250+ Posts

what did the rejection letter say? there had to be an error on the application. that's the only way she's not accepted to the college of her choice at texas.

11. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

I don't see the word "Dallas" anywhere in this thread other than your post.

If she is a texas resident, graduated from HS this year in the top ten percent of her class and filled out an application, she was admitted.

That's all there is to it.

Unless she smoked a brisket fat side down.

12. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

This topic pisses me off. The politicians down the road need to fix this stupid policy pronto. We manage to bring in idiots who are 5 star athletes on campus... but we can't find a way to bring in a brilliant out of state high school kid.

13. gsoda3

gsoda3 250+ Posts

pmg, stuck -

OP said she went to hockaday which is an all-girls private schoo lin dallas (chock full of talent too btw).

14. RabidLonghorn

I dident see the letter so I dont know what it said, all I know is Texas was the only school that dident accept her.

15. Bobbs40

Bobbs40 100+ Posts

I meant to ask if it's possible that she was accepted by UT but not accepted into the specific college of her choice (ie, the business school)? Top 10% guarantees admission to the university, but not to a specific college within the university.

16. Duckie

Duckie 25+ Posts

Something doesn't jive with this story--she's either top 10% and automatically got in (but maybe not to the school/college of her choice as PP suggested) or she wasn't top 10% and was flat out rejected. Or perhaps as others have stated, maybe she missed a deadline or didn't submit all materials. Did I miss something?

17. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

I can't imagine being bothered by this. Go to Stanford and don't look back.

(actually, I can imagine being bothered especially if Texas is the kid's first choice. If that were the case, I'd start making calls. But still, go to Stanford!!)

18. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

19. RabidLonghorn

Again let me say, Texas rejected her, Yale, Stanford, Rice and Duke dident reject her.

20. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Again, let me say, if she was a 2008 HS graduate from Texas in teh top 10%, and she turned in an application, she was admitted.

21. RabidLonghorn

Ok man your right, I guess I will tell Yale no and come to Austin and force them to let her come to Texas even though they said no. Should she go armed?

22. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Either you are lying or your niece is lying. For the last time, did she graduate a texas hs in the top then percent this spring? If so, and she filled out an application and didn't f**k it up, she was admitted.
    The University doesn't send out "rejection" letters. If she wasn't top ten and did not get admitted she would have gotten a CAP referral. I hope you don't have anything to do with her college application process.

23. Bob in Houston

I suspect this comes down to one of two things, both of which have been mentioned:
    1) The application was, in some manner, screwed up.
    2) She did not get admitted to the school she sought.

I'm gonna cut Rabid some slack, as I think he's going by what he was told....

24. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Perhaps she was not top ten at the time of her application, and subsequently moved into it?

25. rhg84

rhg84 250+ Posts

pmg doesnt the 10% rule only apply to public schools?

26. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Pretty sure it's any ranking school.

27. Bob in Houston

When this first began, I heard some of these private schools didn't want to rank, and I think they were told, fine, you can't get your kids in based on top-10. So they ranked.