You take the good, you take the bad...

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by That's Right, Dec 12, 2008.

1. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

You take them both and there you have: A.J. Abrams and Damion James, according to ESPN.com, and NBA scouts.

ESPN and NBA scouts on AJ and DJ, among others

During all of the "let's rip AJ" threads i kept asking where all the threads on Damions underwhelming numbers were at? I guess for some reason I am not aware of Damion is a fan favorite while AJ is somehwat of a scapegoat for the team's troubles.

Now don't get me twisted, I love Damion James, he is one of my favorite players at UT and a cool guy. I've met him a few times, I like him. Only wish him the best. But as of right now he needs to learn to handle the ball, especially in transition, before he even thinks about the NBA. Almost every fast break this year in which Damion has brought it up has either rsulted in a turnover or no points. As of now i think he could use another year at Texas, not only to improve his stock get himself more money, but to have one last year as a kid with all of his best friends while still improving and making himself more NBA ready. I'd have to imagine he'd prefer playing 35 minutes a game on a Final 4 team as opposed to 10 minutes a game for an 82 game season with hellaious road trips.

And as for AJ, I'm glad that scouts seem to want to give him a chance. I mean the guy can flat out shoot, and I have to imagine that some team somewhere in the NBA could find a role for him, or at least draft him with the intentions of that. I hope AJ continues to dominate and improve. This team will be the **** in March. God I love this team.

2. ArmonTanzarian

ArmonTanzarian 100+ Posts

3. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts

I think i've criticized both of them equally. They are both extremely good players when they play within themselves, but each had a couple moments earlier in the season when they were trying to do too much. Both of them were trying to create their own shot off the dribble way too much, and I don't think either of them has that skill set right now.

The way they played against Villanova was fantastic though. I really liked AJ's decision making coming off of those screens--great balance of passing and shooting, and James did a better job of shooting jump shots only when he was open rather than every time he touched it.

4. Dr. Thrill

Dr. Thrill < 25 Posts

5. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

Wow, good one Dr. Thrill. Except that I never said I think that Damion will stay at UT, I said that as of right now another year would benefit him IMO. I still think that he will leave as of right now, and wether or not I agree with that decision is a different matter. Nice try though.