Your DL will be fine.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OUEngineer, Jul 22, 2009.

1. OUEngineer

OUEngineer 500+ Posts

This seems to be the one area providing the most consternation among Burnt Orange Nation this offseason. There isn't a ton of depth, but I'm going to be honest, I don't think you'll need it. This isn't the Big10. Our conference doesn't showcase a plethora of smashmouth, ground-n-pound running attacks. The only team on your schedule who likes to seriously employ a downhill run game is OU. We like running the ball, despite the perception that we're a spread-only offense. We use a lot of single-back under-center sets, as well as lead-blockers out of both the shotgun and under-center.

Just trying to talk some of you off the ledge. Your welcome. [​IMG]

2. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

As long as Houston stays healthy, I agree 100%.

3. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

You may be right but lets not forget about OSU and that slippery back Kendall Hunter. We have talent but maybe not as much depth as before but the team is going to do just fine.

4. RedRiverRocks

RedRiverRocks 500+ Posts

who ever rushes for the most yards, wins the RR game. every year

5. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

Not having a concern about our D-line is similar to not having a concern about your O-line. We lost our entire front four, so there's understandably reason for concern. There's just no getting around that. Especially as talented and as many snaps as the previous group took.

You may have a point about not facing downhill running attacks, but you still need to win the line of scrimmage and have a good pass rush from your front four to be effective.

It's a legit concern. We'll need some new guys (even true freshman) to step up. But, I have heard that D-line is one of the 'easier' places to plug in new folks. Assuming they have the size and the skills, the schemes, reads, and responsibilities aren't as complicated as other positions.

6. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

redriverrocks;

I agree UNLESS there are turnovers, which we both have been known to do from time to time.

7. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I'm old school RRR, so basically, I agree that you've gotta have at least a decent ground game to win a game like the rivalry. If not, you have to live, or more likely die, by your passing game, and both us and zero-u play good enough defense to make a pass-heavy team pay.

I have an idea our defensive line gets by, as long as we don't get hit by the injury bug. I'm not sure who's gonna step up at defensive tackle, but I think someone will, at least enough to help Houston out.

Thanks for the good thoughts OUE...here's hoping you're right about our d-line.

Now, enough of the pleasantries...let me get back to hatin' on your favorite team... [​IMG]

8. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I'm not as concerned about our DL as I am about "Your welcome."
    [​IMG]

9. RedRiverRocks

RedRiverRocks 500+ Posts

I'm just saying Statistically, look at the last 10 RedRiver games... the team that rushed for more yards has won every time.

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

11. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

coolhorn,

If you were old school, you wouldn't use the term "RRR."

You'd call it the Texas/OU game.

You're welcome. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. OUEngineer

OUEngineer 500+ Posts

Yea, I totally went the Way of the Senile when I forgot about the Pokes. I'm slippin', guys.

Honestly, oSu does mix in a really solid option run-game, in addition to their single-back set. Even so, the point remains that there are only a couple teams on your schedule where being thin up the middle could really hurt you guys. I said DL, but I was really speaking specifically at DT. I think you're pretty well set off the edge.

LonghornCatholic, thanks for the correction. I usually catch those sort of blatant grammatical errors, but missed that one. [​IMG]

I agree successful DL play does include the ability to play the pass, but as I said, this wasn't what I was getting at in my original post. I feel like being thin at DT will show itself moreso in the ground game than the passing game. I could be way off on that, but even in the pass-happy Big12, stopping the run is still one of the biggest components to success.

13. pevodog

pevodog 1,000+ Posts

I was pretty worried about the tackle position before last year after Okam and Lokey left.

14. dxspaz

dxspaz 250+ Posts

it will always be the red river shootout
    always

15. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

"it will always be the red river shootout
    always"

No, it will always be just Texas/ou.

16. Nytejag

Nytejag 100+ Posts

PEOPLE!! Can we stop debating on what the game is called?!?! I am an old timer, having witnessed the games of the late '60's. All the names it is called are relevant. I call it just TX/OU Weekend, but I have sometimes used the other names as well. The rivalry is so deep, one name is not enough! [​IMG]

17. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

18. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

19. gkp

gkp 500+ Posts

I grew up in Dallas, and worked in restaurants on Greenville Ave, and we called it the OU game. No need to mention Texas, we lived here- it was the Okie invasion. A Texas win, however, was bad for business. The Okies went home immediately, and Sunday crowds were way down. But on Greenville in the early 70's, it was a madhouse. Not so much today.

On topic- I don't mind oue commenting too much, but I always distrust his motives! But the question about depth is not about game minutes, or schemes, or opponents- it's about injuries. Two guys go down and where are you? Remember the Tech game years ago when so many DB's were dinged up? Disaster!