your electricity provider

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by zork, Nov 9, 2007.

1. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

I've stuck with TXU/Oncor now for the last 2 years paying too much. I live in the North Dallas area what should I do? Continue to pay the price for some possible reliability concerns?

Anyone made the change to the:
    reliant
    amigo energy
    first choice energy
    direct energy
    commerce energy

etc, type reselers?

2. FirstTimeLurker

FirstTimeLurker 100+ Posts

how does elec reselling work? it's kind of a strange idea to me that different "carriers" can carry electricity over the same physical line. Mind block.

3. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Reliability isn't really a concern as the same entity maintains the lines.

4. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

zzzz is correct. Reliability isn't a concern among the different retail counterparties that sell power. You could be with Direct Energy and your next door neighbor who uses the same transmission lines could be using Reliant Energy.

Personally I use Direct Enery and have found their prices to be better than most.

5. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain 250+ Posts

6. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

I've got Amigo in Houston because they sponsor our MLS team, which I think is kinda cool.

Their prices weren't the lowest, but we're lower than most.

7. BHood27

BHood27 25+ Posts

hitbyatrain is correct. I work for a retail energy company in Dallas.

Reliability is not a concern when choosing a provider. TXU(Oncor) maintains the poles and wires in North Texas, Centerpoint in Houston, and AEP and TNMP covering the rest of Texas.

The only thing you need to look out for is some providers may make billing mistakes, or have inferior customer service.

As always, you can go to Power To Choose to check the rates in your area.

8. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I live in Arlington. I switched to Reliant three years ago and have been very happy. They are pretty good on customer service (inquiries about average billing and so on). Oncor maintains the lines, regardless of your choice of provider.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

I buddy of mine from Dallas is involved in some type of multi-level marketing group that deals in power. Anyone know how this works? He got in early and as will all of these, the earlier you get in, the more you make.

He has apparently done very well.

10. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Stream Energy, Ignite is their MLM arm. D Magaizine had an article about them last year. They were growing so fast they were having a hard time lining up enough money to purchase the power in advance. Requires an upfront fee of several hundred dollars. Lots of ties to the people who promoted Excel Communications back in the day.Some think it's a scam. But it's been around for a couple of years now.

11. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

12. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

anyone else use someone other than txu(oncor) or reliant?

13. Texclerk

Texclerk 100+ Posts

I just switched to Gexa. It seemed to e a good cost for a 100% renewable option.