your first aggy game...?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MortimerTX, Nov 23, 2008.

1. MortimerTX

MortimerTX 25+ Posts

How did it go?

What was the score?

Were cokes thrown?

2. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

12 years old, had to get up *** early to ride from Dallas to Austin the day of the game, which kicked off at 10 am. UT won 51-15. James Brown bent them over a table.

3. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

2004. Game wasn't too exciting, other than that strange play when VY reached the ball near the endzone and fumbled it, and they ran it back.

What was more interesting was seeing the Corps marching and seeing them at the game. I had met Aggy at UT Law but did not fully appreciate the insanity of that place until I saw the Corps. I then went there to see the game in 2005 and saw the insanity up close (which was incredibly disturbing).

I now deal with Aggy all the time in my line of work (I think every other insurance defense lawyer in this state is Aggy).

They are a strange group of folks. [​IMG]

4. hamhorn

hamhorn 100+ Posts

1959 when I was 12.. The Aggies had a good quarterback in Charlie Milstead and took the lead with seven minutes left, but Bobby Lackey drove the Horns 75 yards to give Texas a 20-17 win in College Station.

The man behind me, an elderly guy, yelled "c'mon Army" all game long.

5. Longhorndanc

Longhorndanc 25+ Posts

2003. First true road game I attended. We ran wild over them. David Thomas had a long TD reception and we didn't have to throw the ball at all. Mudhole.

6. goosehorn

goosehorn 500+ Posts

1994. Sat in the Horshoe. THis was my first Texas game ever. It was horrible... I was surronded by Aggies and I didnt even know at the time it was the worst place for a Longhorn to sit duriing that time period, when aggy was 10 for 11 and they always brought 10,000+ to each game in Austin.

7. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

1996 as well. My favorite play was when stupid aggy did the whole "BTHOTU" cheer in their end zone (they still got the whole end zone back then), then they did the "f you" hand sign. On the very next play Ricky broke about a 40 yard run right into the end zone they were in to put us up 45-something. It was pure poetry.

8. TexasPelea

TexasPelea 100+ Posts

2002..... The Aggies beat #1 ranked OU a few weeks earlier, making them think they had a chance. It seemed like the Aggies turned the ball over every time they touched it in the first quarter allowing Chris Simms, Roy Williams, and Cedric Benson to squash those thoughts quick.

I remember sitting next to some Aggie girl wearing overalls with stupid crap painted all over it. The game ended 50-20 and I remember her just sitting, sighing and shaking her head everytime something went wrong for the Aggies.... which was often.

And of course, the best memory of this game was our fans chanting "Keep RC, Keep RC!" as the game ended. The Aggies, didn't listen.... it was the last game he coached. Maybe if they'd have listened to us, they'd be worth a damn today. Maybe not.

9. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

1974 at Memorial Stadium. I was a freshman as was Earl Campbell. The Aggies had a quarterback who was something like 17 years old, I think his name was David Walker. Lionel Johnson terrorized him in their first two possessions and we jumped out to a quick lead.

A blue Norther had come through that morning. Earl ran over everybody. When he ran over their obnoxious All-America linebacker, Ed Simonini, near the Texas bench, the Texas players chided him by yelling, "Get up, Ed, you're an All-American."

The bowl thing was so weird that A&M had to beat us to go to the Cotton Bowl or they'd be shut out altogether. Poor Aggies. No bowl.

10. BRay2244

BRay2244 500+ Posts

98...Run Ricky Run. That was electrifying! Although it did suck watching us beat them knowing the Aggys were still going to play in the Big XII CCG.

11. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

Wow, I didn't realize how young most of you guys are. I'll try to be more gentle in the future [​IMG]

12. MortimerTX

MortimerTX 25+ Posts

A very good friend of mine gave me the ticket. I remember watching the student section harass the Aggie band as they entered the stadium. Having watched dozens of games on TV it all felt unreal.

The Horns were on a mission that day and did well through three quarters but A&M kept answering.

The highlight of course was watching Ricky break the record on a stunning TD run. The final Applewhite drive that put the Horns into position to win left the crowd delirious. It was one hell of a game and a great memory.

[​IMG]

13. MadTrapper

MadTrapper 100+ Posts

1998 for me as well. I was 13 years old sitting in the north endzone. That wasn't my first UT game, but that was the one that I remember the most vividly at that age. Wow, that was a great game!

I went from $5 north endzone seats to selling water at the games, to now attending games as a student. Not a bad progression. [​IMG]

14. WYhornfan

WYhornfan < 25 Posts

1993 - The last game that was played on Thanksgiving (until this year). Texas A&M 18, Texas 9. I have seen a lot of Longhorn football games and this game was the coldest UT game that I have ever attended. 28 temps with the chill factor of 8. This game was played right after the "Leon Lett game" in Dallas (where it snowed in Dallas). Texas played tough and had a chance to win the game the game in the end. I was sitting in the old horseshoe at Kyle Field. Texas players then:

Shea Morenz, Lovell Pinkney, Mike Adams, Van Malone (current Aggy Secondary Coach), Winford Tubbs, Chris Carter, Tony Brakens, Phil Brown, Blake Brockermyer, Chris Akins.

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

A cold Thanksgiving evening in 1992. Lost 34-13, the Texas band showed more fight than the team getting into it with the aggy band at halftime and the aggy team after halftime. The student section did an en masse Seig Heil to the corps which was not well received by aggy and except for a brief stretch in the third quarter where Texas cut the lead to 17-13 it was pretty clear aggy had a much better football team.

I do remember this was back when 15-20,000 aggy would come to the game in Austin and the whole horsehoe would be aggy. Embarrasing time to have the visitors be louder than the home fans.

This was actually my first year of law school, I had missed both home games against aggy as an undergraduate because I was out of town so it was fun if only to have a first experience of seeing Texas-Texas A&M. I have made every home game against aggy since until this year when i will watch from home here in the Carribean.

16. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

1998 for me as well.

That was the loudest I have ever heard DKR after Ricky's run.

17. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

Game at A&M after the Bonfire collapse. We lost but I really didn't mind losing that one.

18. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

I am sure I watched Texas-A&M games before this one but the first one I remember is a really terrible Texas team playing A&M close before David McWilliams astonishingly put in the back-up QB for the last drive and he fumbled it away. A&M won 28-24...that was in 1988.

Texas finished 4-7 that season.

19. badandi

badandi 100+ Posts

2002 game for me, too. I was 15 and my dad and I sat in the west side upper deck. I remember the four drunk Aggies a few rows behind us, decked out in their overalls, chanted "wrecking crew" to the point that it was pathetic, probably late in the third quarter.

20. dark_arts

dark_arts 25+ Posts

Freshman year, '90. The Shock the Nation year. We'd lost only one game (to CU) when we played aggy in Austin that year. I think it was the first weekend in December when we played them. We won by a point (24-23?), and McWilliams had the QB take a knee on the last play of the game from aggy's 10 yard line or so.

21. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

The first I can remember, which may not have been the actual first attended, was 1956, age six. All I liked seeing was the bands and the mascots at that age, but aggy only had a stupid dog, so nothing notable about that. I could see dogs in every yard on the block. I liked going to Baylor much more, they had a bear that drank giant Dr. Peppers.
    Even though we lost that game in 1956, good times were right around the corner, as we hired Darrell Royal shortly thereafter. It was quite a few years before I saw UT lose to aggy again.

22. phdhorn

phdhorn 100+ Posts

1982. KiKi DiAyala went wild and UT sent the saggys back to Colllege Station without their skulls to the tune of something like 53-12 or whatever. That aggy team was Jackie S.'s first one and they had the temerity to print up "Love Those Cotton Pickin' Aggies" buttons BEFORE the season. Dumbasses.

Flutie rammed an upset victory up their maroon orifices the first game that year (OOPS!) and by the UT game, the "Cotton Pickin' Aggies" were fried. (Oh on the way to Memorial Staduim, SMU.with James, Dickerson and McIlhenny lit them up by about 45 or so as well).

That UT game was FUUNNNN!!!

23. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

The first aggy game I ever went to was vs. SMU when they used to play in the Cotton Bowl. I was just a little kid and went with a classmate whose dad was an ag, probably at the end of the 70's. My distinct memory of the day isn't about the game but that I mocked a hissing aggy corps guy sitting next to us. It was like an instinct.

The second aggy game I went to was also vs. SMU, but at Texas Stadium with Dicker/James against Kubiak (who was stretchered off).

My first Texas v. aggy game was 1990 in Austin. Sat in the Shoe with lots of ags around us. My lasting memory is of looking right at the back of Gardere under center who faked a handoff to an airborne Adrian Walker and snuck around the end for a 50 yd TD run. Texas won by a point. The ag meltdown in the shoe all around us was epic.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

1989, at College Station. I was 15.

I grew up a longhorn, but my older brother had a friend who was an aggy trying to convert me. I went to the game with him and sat in the aggy student section. Before the game I remember seeing a lot of Daily Texan newspaper dispensers that aggy students had stolen from the UT campus during the week before the game.

There was some sort of little squabble on the field before the game. Both teams met in the middle of the field for the coin toss -- I mean the entire teams, all of them lined up out there across from each other. I'm pretty sure that Ed Cunningham, our big OT, started the squabble, and I'm still amazed that it didn't get worse with all of the players out there.

During the game I kept looking down at the Texas fans sitting there in the aggy horseshoe, and I wished I were there with them. That game convinced me without a doubt that Texas was the place for me.

We lost the game, but I knew where I belonged so it was a victory of sorts for me.

25. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

In the old SWC, 1962, against SMU Can't remember the score but I think the ags won. Nothing was thrown, but I remember the ags doing their yells, which haven't changed.

First UT - Ag game was in 1974 and the Horns ***** slapped them 32-3. And it was cold that day!

26. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

1976 in Austin.

agg won 27-3. We sat on the last row of the upper deck during a largely cold and wet game - it was pretty miserable. Horns were banged up - lot's of injuries like there had been all season (Earl was still hurt). aggy was pretty good that year, but the Horns played a sloppy game if I recall - lot's of costly penalties and turnovers that gave aggy short fields for scores.

Rumors were swirling all around that time about DKR retiring - he denied them. Horns played Arky the week after aggy and beat em 29-12 to finish the season 5-5-1 The 1 tie was that gut-wrenching 6-6 tie with ou - I was there and will never forget that game. As a odd twist Frank Broyles, Arky HC, retired the same night as DKR. They were actually friends off the field.

Don't remember seeing aggy throwing cokes or poo at anyone at that game[​IMG]

27. TexasRx

TexasRx 500+ Posts

'94

Temporary bleachers in the south endzone

[​IMG]

28. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

BevoJoe the ags didn't win in '62. In fact from '57 through '74 Coach Royal was 17-1 against the nazi pigs. only losing 10-7 in '67

unfortunately my first was '75. aggy Pat Thomas intentionally went after Marty Akins' knee which was injured the week before against TCU. Knocked him out in 1st qrt and Ted Constanzo had to finish at QB. Our only TD was Ray Clayborn punt return.

29. llanoflash

llanoflash 25+ Posts

1975 at collie station. i was 7.
    horns lost.
    bubba bean was good.

went to tx stadium and watched the cowboys vs. giants (i think) the next day.

30. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

in '75actually you went to Cowboys on Thursday and Closet Station on Fri or Sat.- I don't remember which.