Your key to the game

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by vtaenz, Oct 31, 2008.

1. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

I figured this would be fun for Friday. List ONLY ONE key to the game that you think if it happens will result in a Texas victory. Be specific too, "if we score more points" I know that post is coming already as I type this.

I think defensive pressure with the D Line from the Defensive Tackles.

QBs often expect to have that pressure coming from the outsides so they can just step up in the pocket. I would love to see our DTs collapse the pocket from the middle. That would make for a very long night for Harrell.

Hook 'Em.

2. megale

megale 25+ Posts

create turnovers on defense. if we can, and capitalize with a score it just puts more pressure on the tech passing game. have to win that turnover battle in a high scoring affair.

3. phdhorn

phdhorn 100+ Posts

By far, my 1 key to this game - nothing comes close...

The pressure on Tech with this being their biggest game ever.

If they handle it, they'l lbe energized and beat Texas. If they don't, they'll screw up as usual and be tight, Texas will be up 21 points before you can take a piss break, and it'll be over, period, end of story, not even arguable.

Which one will happen? I really, really don't know (I'm leaning the latter here, Texas wins something like 52-21). But that's "leaning", not "convinced." This Tech team is Leach's best, and it might be one which steps up and plays.

Anyway, how Tech handles their own pressure, esp. in the first quarter. THAT's the big, big key to me.

4. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

My biggest key is no turnovers (or limit) on our end.

Two years ago we went down 21-0 due to turnovers. Down 7-0, we were driving on Tech and J. Charles fumbled. They in turn scored a TD. Down 14-0, McCoy throws a pick that they take in for a TD. In a heartbeat, we were down 21-0.

I just do not think that their defense can stop our offense. So the key is no turnovers for us. If we do that, then we just need a few stops on defense to "outscore" them and I know that our defense is alot better than theirs.

5. EasternHorn

EasternHorn 500+ Posts

All good points.

It's hard to argue about no turnovers, but I'll also go with pressure from the DL as the most important key.

6. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

As this is the "fans" board: We are undefeated when my daughter wears her Texas cheerleading outfit. That appears to be the key.

7. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

whoever has fewer turnovers will win this game.

8. Hookemhorns927

Hookemhorns927 25+ Posts

turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. in such an intense atmosphere, getting the ball from tech via fumbles, INT's, etc. will absolutely kill their momentum. they will be feeding off of that crowd, and IMO nothing silences a crowd more than turnovers.

Also, getting pressure on Harrell and making him panic; and #3 - our running game. we need to milk clock with long drives and let our defense have plenty of rest. Tech tends to score quickly, which I think hurts their defense's ability to stay fresh. Just a few obvious, but nonetheless important, keys.

9. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

10. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas running game controlling clock, keeping defense rested, and pirates in port, not sailing unchecked on the high seas.

11. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Pressure on Harrell.

12. texascoder

texascoder 1,000+ Posts

I sort of disagree about turnovers being the *main* key. Of course, if there's a big difference in turnovers one way or the other, it would likely decide the game, but I agree with the OP about DLine pressure on Harrell being the main key. If we can get a good consistent push from the DLine (i.e. between the tackles), then it will hopefully disrupt the passing lanes that Harrell likes to use to throw those little 4-7 yd passes that turn into 20-30 yd passes with YAC. If we can get good pressure with just our DLine then I like our chances. If we have to bring a LB here and there to help out, then we might get burned. In my opinion, the Sand Aggy D will struggle mightily to stop our offense. So if we can come up with a few key 3rd down stops then we have a great chance.

My prediction: 49-31 Horns

13. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

running the football (chew up the clock)

[​IMG]

14. horntiger2010

horntiger2010 100+ Posts

"The pressure on Tech with this being their biggest game ever. "

^^ This.

Everything else, outside of maybe EFFECTIVE QB pressure brought by us, wait... even this hinges on what is between the ears of the guys in black and red tommorrow.

Consider that their "biggest game ever" has them at home ranked only #7!!! Take a second and process this information. The pressure on Tech is INCREDIBLE!! We have lots of pressure as well, but we have been here before, the coaches know what to tell our guys, and some of the older guys know how to react to a game like this. Our mental toughness when compared to Tech's should not be understated.

This group of longhorns played on a stage just like this, in Dallas, and then with all the pressure of coming off that win to win against Mizzou - granted that was in Austin, but we have won like 25 of the last 29 (could be off) road games.

Having said all of that, if Tech comes out tight, then we win this thing going away. If Tech comes out like they are playing pitch and catch, and take this as if its another game then Tech puts up a fight.

I think that all those predictions about this being a close game assume that Tech won't be tight or that they will be loose to start the game. Even in that scenario, Texas outplays them and we out-athlete them in the later stages of the game.

Tech is tight: UT wins 56-24

Tech is loose: UT wins 49-45

HOOK EM!!

15. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

Anyone mention turnovers?

16. ShatyUT

ShatyUT 100+ Posts

Turnovers definitely sway a game but if turnovers stay even, I agree with the DL pressure on Harrell. We need to come strong and change things up to confuse Harrell. If we can get to him quick and make him leave the pocket often, I think we'll do just fine.

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!

Texas 56 - 36 (Still no one tops the 40 point mark on our defense and Tech goes for a 2 pointer in there somewhere and gets it)

[​IMG]

17. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

When pass rushing Wuss, I mean Harrell, even if we don't get to him - hands up.
    He throws many short quick passes that we should be able to deflect.
    This will frustate the heck out of Wuss, I mean Harrell.

18. Bluepies

Bluepies Guest

1. Pressure from D-line
    2. Turnovers (likely caused by pressure from D-line)

19. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Rushing the passer.

20. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

Have the ball last.

21. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

1. pressure on Harrell
    2. long sustained drives for points keeping tech O off the field and slowly making the tech D tired
    3. Special Teams play