Your typical night on 6th street?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by chance johnson, Dec 11, 2001.

1. chance johnson

chance johnson 100+ Posts

Despite having over 40 bars in downtown Austin, I generally just go to 3 or four.

I usually start at Touches, then Library or Aquarium and finally Logan's. You guys have a 6th street routine?

2. scally

scally 100+ Posts

Logans (because it is close to where i park), then i check out the high school girl scene at 311, then Shakespeare's. then if the line isn't long at logans, i end the night there.

usually i will somehow get involved in a fight.

3. chance johnson

chance johnson 100+ Posts

Erin the bartender? I think I know who you're talking about. I think Shakespeares is a sausage fest.

4. TexasWolf

TexasWolf 25+ Posts

My routine is too avoid it all together. Places off the beaten path. Not into paying to park or dealing with mobs anymore.

5. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

that was my routine in college (aquarium...then to logans). but i really don't hit 6th that often any more. I went to Lucky's for a while but it is becoming something similar to aquarium now. Ocean's 11 was good the first 2 times. Now, i have no routine and bars that I go to are pretty random

6. JackieMartling

JackieMartling 100+ Posts

scally...when's the last time you've been to the 311? That's primarily populated by card-carrying AARP members. Overall, 6th Street blows now. Just a post prom-like gathering spot, 365 days a year. And anyone who visits the joint that replaced Steamboat ought to be burned at the stake...

7. TXBabe97

TXBabe97 250+ Posts

Steamboat...ahh, the memories...

8. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

Anyone remember that place SideStreet? They used to have the hottest chicks working there. Man, I saw some crazy stuff there.....

9. Horn_Dynasty

Horn_Dynasty 25+ Posts

When I was 17 or so I saw some chicks get shaved on stage at Sidestreet. That sealed the deal. I was comin to Austin.

10. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

sidestreet is now 607... which is nothing like 606 (which is only remembered by old people like me)

11. football25

football25 First Time Poster

I lived in Austin this past summer for a few monthes, and hung out on 6th a lot... it got really old after a while- mostly we went to 311, copper tank, library, etc...... went to some daq. place. that was so cheesy. it was a fun summer but maybe b/c i was not from there..... from new orleans

12. Durkee

Durkee 500+ Posts

I remember 606. crayon! Then it became Cactus Room, and stayed cool until Iron Cactus. Way downhill after that.

13. h.i. mcdonough

h.i. mcdonough 25+ Posts

When I was in school ('94-'98) I usually only went to 6th on Thursday night (frat stuff other nights) and it was Shakespeare's first for the $2 drinks, then maybe Sidestreet (always a lot of fun and hot chicks) then maybe Logan's or Lucy's (in later years). Hit up the Library from time to time but I never dug that place.

I haven't been to 607 (old Sidestreet) but it looks cheesy. I do remember 606 from when I first started school. Wasn't it also called Cactus Room at some point before it became Iron Cactus?

Wylie's wasn't a bad stop either. Man, I feel like I am getting old.

14. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

h.i.,

exact same stomping grounds.

I probably ran into you, Leonard Smalls and Ed a few times.

15. h.i. mcdonough

h.i. mcdonough 25+ Posts

Hmmm...probably have bumped into you, huffhines, and not known it. Never hung around Lenny because he ain't got no friends. Gale and Evelle are good buddies, though.

16. Left-handed Horn

Left-handed Horn < 25 Posts

sardine rouge, star bar, opal devine's, mother egans

17. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

Well, I would always avoid Logan's simply because it is a big frat party, except without any girls.

Usually, Shakespeares, the bartenders are all hot and the music in the back is good. Coppertank has great beer and likewise hot chicks, and then end the night at Soho.

18. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

Oh yeah, and how can I forget Pete's. If you have a big crowd and want to stick around in the same place for a while and have a good time, Pete's can be quite entertaining.

19. TexasSun

TexasSun 25+ Posts

God I miss ending the night at Tropical Isle for a Hand Grenade.

20. h.i. mcdonough

h.i. mcdonough 25+ Posts

I know a guy who got beat up by the Hand Grenade mascot in front of Tropical Isle.

21. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

I will have ot agree with you on that one, the Hand Grenade was a dandy. Shame they had to shut that place down....

22. longhornjoe

longhornjoe 25+ Posts

The Blind Pig is the mecca for hot co-ed ***.