Yu Darvish and game two of Rangers-Astros

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Apr 2, 2013.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Absolutely no reason to check out this game as it heads to the seventh inning, none at all, no reason whatsoever. [​IMG]

2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Headed to the 8th and for life of me I cant think of a single reason to be interested in what is happening down in Houston. [​IMG]

3. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

I'm not supersticious,but I won't spoil the luck....all I know is I haven't seen an Astro het on base yet.

Of course I've been channel surfing so what would i know

4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

8 innings in the books and I guess there is a chance that Wash will let Yu pitch the ninth. No big deal. [​IMG]

5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Ok here comes bottom of the ninth and nothing of importance on the line as Rangers have big lead at 7-0. [​IMG]

6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Grounder to short for out number one. Nothing to see here. [​IMG]

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Grounder to second for out number two and not a gosh darn thing to see here. [​IMG]

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] Wow, two out single to center breaks up the perfect game in the bottom of the ninth.

Hell of a performance by Yu who comes oh so close to perfect game. [​IMG]

9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

No question this year who ace of the staff is. Darvish was dominant tonight with 14 strikeouts and none of the walks that were such a bugaboo last year. He is pulled with two outs in the ninth having thrown over 100 pitches. Kirkman on to close this one out.

10. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Kirkman surrenders a second hit but then gets K to end game and Rangers win 7-0. Rubber match tomorrow afternoon.

This year is really a transition one for the Rangers and I will be pleasantly surprised if they are in the playoff hunt as I expect them to take a step back this year before starting another run in a year or two. Nights like tonight though suggest that if Darvish can pull a Verlander type season and if the four and five hole starters can be consistently stable producers, the Rangers might not have to take that step back this year.

11. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Great game by Yu. He'll get a perfecto before his career is over.

Good to see the Rangers' bats show up too,

[​IMG]

12. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

FW,

While we may have taken a step back, LAA did too imo. They didn't shore up the Pen, and lost 3 starters. Te Pen killed em last yr and will again

That said, I'm worried abt our Pen too....but we're in better shape pitching-wise than LAA

13. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

A masterpiece, and a shame that once again, the Rangers got to within one out of something really special and couldn't close the deal.

14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Out with the family last evening and missed the entire game. Saw the highlights later but ohhhh, how close. Outstanding performance by Yu [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

16. 7 Iron

7 Iron 500+ Posts

Always be closing. I hate the Rangers more than I like myself.

That gave me almost as much pleasure as their loss to STL.

God Bless the Houston Astros.

17. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

18. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

19. 7 Iron

7 Iron 500+ Posts

I learned to be this way from my aggy friends. I just replaced Texas with the Rangers and voila - I'm an aggy-esque Astros fan.

20. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I was flipping channels. It seems like there were a lot of Rangers fans at the game. Were they just excited by the Yu performance or is Houston turning on the Lastros? If you want to win now, it's hard to get excited about a team with a total payroll less than the Yanks pay ARod. On the other hand, being willing to tear down and start from scratch can pay off in a couple of years as youngsters get experience.

21. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Whenever Yu pitches you get a lot of fans coming especially Japanese who may happen to live wherever he may be pitching.

Now that the Astros are in same division as Rangers I have a quandry. I used to cheer for Houston as my NL team and have had sympathy for the die hards who had to suffer through these past few seasons as Houston basically rolled out Triple A level and some nights a Double A level ball team. Their payroll is 19 million, that is just above what Andrus just signed a new contract to get paid each year at 15M. Houston may have 110 losses this year and that is tough on any loyal fan so my hat is off to all our Astro fans on this board.

23. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

another sick start from yu. angel hitters had no chance. like he was toying with them. hope you saw the gif of the 5 pitches.