Zimmerman Trial

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Crockett, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Another aspect of the trial that seems downright weird is the prosecution repeatedly seems to be asking questions that are eliciting a response favorable to the defense. At times I wasn't sure where the direct ended and the cross examination began.

2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

The reason that the prosecution isn't presenting a good case is that they don't have a good case to present. This whole case is a waste of time and taxpayer money.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Bronco and Tex Ex 2000 -- How troubling that each of you has developed a capacity to read my mind and understand thoughts and desires to which yet I have not become privy.

Ex -- I've regretted using the term "gangsta' and now i will formally apologize. If that is not acceptable enough, please notify me of the nearest PC police location (I live in suburban Denton County) that I might turn myself in. Perhaps I will be assigned to reeducation or sensetivity training with a minor in winter outerwear. Also, just check the standard dictionary reference (English) for "urban" and "urbane" and you will know exactly what I meant.

Bronco: I made no mention of "HOA". I did speak about Neighborhood Watch, a popular program with many law enforcement agencies used with civilians to cooperate and make neighborhoods safer. It's a great program I support and have seen work well in various Texas municipalities and unincorporated areas.

While Neighborhood Watch is terrific, it's not going to be the organization for those who want to take a robust, armed (or otherwise) pursuit role in law enforcement.

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Croc
    It does seem that most people who use a racist or ethnic term or phrase for which they are castigated end up apologizing for it.
    What none of us know , either with you or any of the people in the news who end up apologizing is are you or they only sorry for being called out?

It has been said that the original slur is usually the real intent meant but who knows?

In light of all the posts on here regarding others who have made racist/ ethnic disparagements I was surprised to see you make yours.

5. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I interact well with others at work, shopping and entertainment venues with people who are Black, Hispanic, Asian, Muslim, Jewish, etc. I don't have a lot of anger or illl will in my heart. That said, I do see difference in people and sometimes attitudes towards violence, honesty, profanity in mixed company, music that I can hear two streets away, having kids out of wedlock etc., are stuff II perceive as violations of the culture I prefer. I grew up in a culture, if you will forgive the expression, was kinda redneck though I certainly never embraced overt racism.

6. Bronco

Bronco 500+ Posts

7. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Crockett, nobody believes you are racist. You just spout too much national news talking points. Today, CNN let me know "cracker" was not racist, just whites being insensitive to "black English." This analysis came from two black guys who ended with "it is nothing like white people thinking they understand what the n word means." Good grief.

8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Crockett, nobody believes you are racist. You just spout too much national news talking points. Today, CNN let me know "cracker" was not racist, just whites being insensitive to "black English." This analysis came from two black guys who ended with "it is nothing like white people thinking they understand what the n word means." Good grief. Can we get more hypocrisy?

9. DFWAg

DFWAg 1,000+ Posts

Another day of the prosecution somehow destroying any chance to put Zimmerman in jail. They put the police detective from the crime scene on the stand. She made Zimmerman sound like a priest, clutching a cross and lamenting Martin's death.

This likely kills any claim of malicious intent on Zimmerman's part.

10. Third Coast

It might be time for the prosecution to start thinking about a deal. They could possibly get Zimmerman to plea down to disturbing the peace and give him community service. Maybe have him volunteer for a neighborhood watch program.

11. HornHuskerDad

12. Third Coast

Yeah, that was kind of meant as a joke. [​IMG]

13. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

After the investigation office testified, I think it just went up to about 98% not guilty, brace for the riots!!!!

14. bedhead

bedhead 100+ Posts

Remember OJ. I still won't count my chickens, although it would be a huge travesty of justice if GZ were convicted.

I see this as not a clash of race, but of pride. 2 men (I'm so sick of the media calling Trayvon a young teen when he was only a couple of years from being out of his teens)

I do believe Zimmerman was probably overzealous, and liked the position of authority as neighborhood watch. I saw a guy/man walking down my street in a dark hoodie late at night and it is a kind of creepy and scary sight. I couldn't have told you what the color of his skin was--the hoodie kept his face in shadow, but I had to wonder, it was 90+ degrees--why the hoodie?

So I think it reasonable for Zimmerman to be concerned. I think Trayvon admitted, or sounded scared to the girl on the phone, and saw Zimmerman heading back to his truck, His pride may have flared up when he saw him, so he confronted with the question, maybe to impress the girl, or at least sound tough.

After that, who knows what happened, but GZ's story sounds quite plausible and the evidence backs it up. I think he was already winded, according to the police/911 tapes, adrenalin was flowing, he became more out of breath during the struggle. Then his nose was broken making it harder for him to breath, and it sounds like, from the eyewitness that Trayvon was on top, grounding and pounding. So it became even harder to breath. (no matter how skinny Trayvon was) It is easy to panic when you are having trouble breathing, esp. when someone has you in that position on top.
    If I out myself in that situation I honestly can say I would be in fear of my life--and add on my head being bashed in to the cement.

I just worry, have no idea of the ethnic make-up of the jury, bur God himself couldn't have produced a guilty verdict for OJ.

I just hope justice, and calm prevail, but I am worried.

15. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

16. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

17. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Roger35 just walked in...

[​IMG]

18. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

^^^^^^^
    llllllllllllllll

Now that was funny!!!

19. HornHuskerDad

Testimony of the forensics expert yesterday makes it sound like 99+% chance of acquittal. I don't see how any jury could render a "guilty" verdict on this one.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

This is a Show Trial and a disgrace to the justice system. The original prosecutor did not feel they had enough to prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt and it is obvious now why.

This is television driven and a disgrace

21. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts