2016 Commitment Week Open Thread (Feb 1 - ?)

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, Feb 1, 2016.

1. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

As of about 2 am in Texas, nobody is confidently calling anybody from our "err friggin body" gang of about 12 guys as theirs, but TCU, FSU, LSU, Baylor, S.Carolina, OU and Ole'Miss all have a chance to take one player each from our list. Maybe even aggy (but I doubt if anybody wants to go there now). I still feel that some 3 or 4 of our guys will end up elsewhere in the end. We could still finish anywhere between around #8 and #16 for all I can see.

• Like Like x 4
  2. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

The players are still remaining pretty confident that we will get a good bunch of these guys. As per a piece in 247horns this morning, Reggie Hemphill-Mapps says we will have a top-5 class, Tope Imade says we will have a top-3 class, and Peyton Aucoin says we will have a top-10 class. I think Reggie and Tope are a little too optimistic, as I doubt if we can get top even top-5, unless we land at least five from among Jones, Fowler, Hudson, Dontavius, McCullough and Deontay from the composite top-100 rankings. That is hard to imagine. We may only get 2 or 3 among them. My feeling is that we will be somewhere around 9 to 12 in the end.

A lot of CBs have come in for Marcell Southall to us, this morning. There seems to be some word going around that he is all ours. Will be good to start the day tomorrow with DLs Southall and Chris Daniels picking us.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

All of us, tomorrow morning...

nsd-waiting.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Add some background music:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Turn your speaker on.

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Sumbody startin early? Errbody?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

While it appears that DT Marcel Southall is trending towards us, it seems the pendulum is swinging the other way with RB Kyle Porter.
    Can't argue with that. While we have a good shot to land the following guys, IMO the likelihood is least with S Deontay Anderson, RB Kyle Porter, and TE Irvin Smith. And OT Patrick Hudson is too much up-in-air to make any kind of call on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

9. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Not so fast, my friend, says Bobby Burton, about Kyle Porter. A couple of hours ago he said that there was a movement back in our favor during the last 48 hours (by which I assume that we have probably told him whom we are getting as the RB coach), and Burton had raised his odds for Porter from something small to 40%.

10 minutes ago Burton went ahead and put in a Crystal Ball pick for Porter to us. Now, that is interesting. I wonder if he just got some brand new info. Porter has not said when he will announce either. I would be thrilled if he announced to us today, to start things off early. Wonder if that is what Gerry Hamilton was referring to in his tweet just now. Who knows!

• Like Like x 2
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Other than Cobb and Porter, it has been quiet.

11. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-football-team-recruiting-rankings-formula

RIVALS RANKING FORMULA.

Summary: A five star player has a point ranking that could vary quite a bit between players depending on where they rank in the top 250. This follows on down the rankings. Even three star players might have an assigned point value that might differ by 20 points or more. The point value for he top 20 recruits on each team is added up. That is how the total points are calculated.
    For example LSU and Fla State have a average star difference of .03 which is negligible but looking at the total points there is difference of more than 230 points. LSU has higher ranked players even though the star ranking is about the same.

Just in case you are as bored as I am this morning.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I am working the local Katy power-brokers about the Porter situation as we speak. Secure intel will be provided on this thread as circumstances warrant.

• Like Like x 3
  13. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Meanwhile two back to back Crystal balls just dropped in for Hudson to Texas - from Bobby Burton and Tom Loy (who is a national guru with NotreDame focus, IIRC). Did they hear anything. Bobby had only given a 51% chance on a pure gut feeling, to come to Texas, as of this morning. Did something change? We will see....

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We may be seeing some movement here in Katy, stay tuned

• Like Like x 2
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Hudson would mean 1 center, 2 guards, and 2 tackles in this class. Add our TE, 2 WR, FB, QB, and recently committed RB, then you have a perfectly balanced class on offense.

16. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 2
  17. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

BOOM! Porter to Texas, it seems.

Travis Whillock, his HS team mate (a Northwestern commit) just tweeted -
    "Congrats to my brother on his commitment to Texas! I know he is going to do great things"

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

My Katy efforts have paid off.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I told you I was working on it.

• Like Like x 9
  20. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

You da man, Dion!!

That was a huge huge pickup. I just didn't like the idea of not picking an RB in a class, regardless of us having 4 other good young ones. Porter is a great one!

CHARLIE THE CLOSER!!!:bow::bow::bow:

• Like Like x 3
  21. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

By the way, Porter was one guy who didn't even have a twitter account, I think. Extremely quiet. It looks like he had to get his friend to tweet it out! That's tremendous. We're getting some real players, and not the flashy prima donnas... err, pre-madonnas, I mean.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

porter.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 3
  24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

:hookem::bevo::texasflag: Welcome to The University Mr.s Porter!!:yippee:

25. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 1
  26. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

• Like Like x 1
  27. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Add in DT Rashan Gary and we end up NUMERO UNO, baby! Oh, yeah. It's a lock! (I love the smell of rumor in the morning.)

• Like Like x 2
  28. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

29. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Question. This is a dead period. If players get told there are no scholorships available are they not able to contact other coaches or are they just out of luck until Friday?

30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Probably a way around this when you think about it.