Horns Down sanity check

Crockett

5,000+ Posts
If our basketball team gives a pitiful effort and we get the Horns down sign fom opponents should we be more upset about the sign or the effort?
Seems to me conniptions about Horns down gives rude fans/players/coaches free rent in our head. In my opinion when fans at an Iowa State, West Virginia game throw the Horn down sign just say to yourself, "You think uou don't like us now bucko, wait until you see what's next."

Horns down is something with which we have to put.
Grin and bear it, like it or not it isn’t going away. Hookem

I have always viewed horns down as being by a group of people grasping for relevance when they have no tradition of their own. It's more a case of me having pity for their lack of relevance than getting upset over their feeble attempt to make our program less than it is.

It started with ou doing Horns down long, long ago.

It NEVER bothered me then or now.

Losers do this as they have no other way to express their envy, jealousy and desire to be somebody...

THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS

:tower:

IGNORE THEM!!!

Last edited:
I love it. I love that it shows were the gravitas, the one they measure up to.

Also it's part of good rivalry stuff. Not only is hookem the best hand sign in sports, the horns down is the best cut down move in sports. That's cool.

But, for the record, I think doing it on the field (not on the sideline) is taunting and should be penalized according to the definition of the rule. Not a big deal, but it is a penalty.

It's no longer a rivalry thing--everybody does it, whether Texas has played them one time or a hundred. I remember several years ago some baseball team in the Northeast (don't remember which one--not a major program) tweeted out a horns down before the game. Really? So it doesn't mean anything to me or bother me anymore. I do agree that if it's done by players on the field/court/diamond it's obviously taunting (if it weren't, why would they be doing it?) and therefore a penalty. Haters gonna hate.

I was thinking. If Texas ever decided to change their uniforms for a gimmick, it should be covered in dollar bills. That would be hilarious.

It is the ultimate signal that Texas is a universal brand, what other school has a hand sign so well known that everyone knows it. Don't want to see it, just win. Us chanting OU Sucks is absolutely no different.

Except I have never chanted OUsucks at any other game except the ou game.
Nor have I heard or seen Texas fans chant ou sucks at other games.
So yes it is different.
That difference just shows Texas hatred lives
So Embrace the Hate.

I only chant it at the OU game too but I hear it at a lot more than just the OU game, for some fans it has all but replaced "Go Horns Go" or the ever-present 'Make em eat....." in Texas Fight at all games not just OU.

See I always thought we started chanting it in the 2nd half of the game before. If we were winning, the chant would start after a touchdown. It was like "pre-gaming" lol

So yes it is different.
That difference just shows Texas hatred lives
So Embrace the Hate.
We've sat in Section 2 for 25+ years and I hear it at every game, regardless of opponent. It's the one thing (now that jet pack guy is gone) that I shake my head at when it happens.

Vino
Fans in your section chanted it at every game no matter who we were playing???
Correct, and it's not just our section, I hear it no matter where in the stadium I might be. I also hear it at away games which makes no sense to me at all. I always hear a smattering of that, the old "Make'em eat sh*t", and of course the proper "Go Horns Go" no matter where we are and who we are playing, and have for years.

I personally have no issue with Horns down, but have always said even if it did bother me as long as we chant "OU Sucks" during Texas Fight we have nothing to complain about.

So you are saying the fans are subbing the words in Texas Fight.
As opposed to randomly chanting it .
Got it

Yes, and I apologize if I misunderstood what you were referring to. I've only heard random "OU Sucks" chants by themselves at games against them.

Well I guess that means Texas fans are as obsessed with ou as all the other schools we've seen doing horns down at other games.
Uh I didn't consider some Horn fans using it in the song as equivalent to other schools hating on Texas with Horns down.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back