Old UT Photos

My Dad was a WW2 veteran on the GI Bill, that graduated from UT in 1949 with a biz degree. He was also a car guy back in those days. He would have easily identified that car and appreciated it!
Yes, but would he have identified the co-ed? If the apple didn’t fall far from the tree, I suspect he would have.

Yes, but would he have identified the co-ed? If the apple didn’t fall far from the tree, I suspect he would have.

Yeah, I suspect he would have recognized her if she was a student... UT was still small enough in the late 40's, you knew a lot people.

Last edited:
Speaking of old cars, here are a few in front of Gregory Gym. I don't recognize cars this old but suspect this photo was taken in the late 1920's or early 30's ...

Texas_Union_2_thumb.jpg

These cars in front of the gym appear to be 1940's?

GregoryGym1930s.jpg

Speaking of old cars, here are a few in front of Gregory Gym. I don't recognize cars this old but suspect this photo was taken in the late 1920's or early 30's ...

Texas_Union_2_thumb.jpg

These cars in front of the gym appear to be 1940's?

GregoryGym1930s.jpg
Interesting to think about the few times I was in that building (Gregory, and all the other buildings) while on campus and never gave much thought to how long they had been around, or how many other students from years past had been through there. It gives me such an appreciation for the opportunity to be at UT for a little while in my life and experience this great institution and all its gifts.

Best car ever parked out front of Gregory was after the Nobis draft. IIRC, Nobis bought a new Riveria and parked it at the curb; Harris bought a Olds and parked it at the curb; John Elliott bought a new Chevy PU and parked it at the curb; Diron (properly pronounced "Die-roan" but dragged out in your best East Texas drawl) bought a used Cadillac convertible (not a collector's item) with over 50,000 miles on it, drove it up the sidewalk, parked it with the top down and left a sign "DO NOT TOUCH".

Great guy, funny guy, not doing well and could use your prayers

1944: An aerial view of the UT campus from 80 years ago, looking east. The football and baseball stadiums are in the back, while the new Music Building (today’s Rainey Hall) is the first of the South Mall “Six Pack.”

GQjpLH7XsAA9R01.jpg

@JimNicar

Good. The Sponge was an atrocity and really, really needed to be torn down.
When my daughter was awarded her MA there in May 2022, I think hers was the last (or one of the very last) groups to use the Drum for commencement before the dismantling and demolition began. Not sure but what some of the contractors were setting up on site getting ready to get to work.

Last edited:
1.maroon-and-orange-pennant.png

Maroon Madness
Posted on June 28, 2024

It was a great day for the second-ever football game between the University of Texas and Texas A&M. Partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the low 70s greeted fans who gathered at the University’s athletic field – unofficially dubbed “Athletic Park” by the newspapers – on Saturday afternoon, October 22, 1898. The teams hadn’t met in four years since their initial match in 1894, and a large crowd was expected. A few bleachers on the west side accommodated around 200 spectators, but most of the fans stood along the sidelines several persons deep. It would be another decade before UT students built their first stadium. (See The One Week Stadium)

University supporters arrived in suits, ties, and bowler hats for the men, and colorful Victorian dresses and fashionable hats for the women. As was the custom of the time, fans showed their team loyalty by wearing orange and white ribbons on their lapels, though enterprising male students wore longer ribbons so they could “snip and share” with any coeds who had none.

Above left: A UT football player in his orange and maroon uniform. This is actually a sketch found in the 1897 Cactus yearbook and (poorly) colored by the author. Look closely – there is no helmet. In the 1890s, most football players had long, bushy hair and believed it would be sufficient to protect the head.

About 75 members of A&M’s Corps of Cadets rode a chartered train from College Station, accompanied by a similar number of rooters. The cadets were armed with a variety of noise makers, from cow bells to dinner bells to tin horns, and everyone sported bright red and white ribbons, which were then the colors of the A&M College.

Kick-off was set for 3 o’clock, and it wasn’t long before the audience realized the game would be a lopsided one for a UT win. The reporter covering the game for the Austin Daily Statesman had an apparent fondness for simile. He wrote, “The ‘Varsity boys played like champions, and went through the visitors like a temperance resolution at a prohibition convention,” which was followed immediately by, “Touch-downs were as numerous as pretty new bonnets on a well-developed Easter morning.” The final score was 48–0.

The talk of the game, though, wasn’t the tally on the scoreboard, but the UT uniforms. While University fans dutifully showed up with their traditional orange and white, the team ran onto the field in orange and maroon.

The reaction, though, may not have been what you expected.

Read the rest of the article via the link below (too long to post here):

Jim Nicar – The UT History Corner

Last edited:

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back