Automobile Quiz

utahorn

500+ Posts
upload_2024-3-17_23-45-53.png

upload_2024-3-17_23-46-28.png

upload_2024-3-17_23-47-13.png

upload_2024-3-17_23-48-1.png

upload_2024-3-17_23-49-11.png

I did have some good times at the drive-in. Sometimes I even saw the movie.

During the Mustang heyday there was a sign outside a breakfast restaurant that said "our hotcakes are selling like Mustangs"

Bill Lear, who with his partner founded a company which would become Motorola. I think I was about 11 or 12 and visiting my great uncle, who lived next door to Lear's family. He gave my grandfather and me a detailed account of the meeting with Ford, who basically told him he was crazy because no one would listen to a radio in one of his cars. Irony for today's times, I seem to remember he went to China to "study" a technology which allowed them to develop the car radio.

Mr Lear was a genuinely nice man, who wanted all kids to have the benefit of his experiences but also to be inquisitive. I think he was on wife 5 or 6 at that time.

Bill Lear, who with his partner founded a company which would become Motorola. I think I was about 11 or 12 and visiting my great uncle, who lived next door to Lear's family. He gave my grandfather and me a detailed account of the meeting with Ford, who basically told him he was crazy because no one would listen to a radio in one of his cars. Irony for today's times, I seem to remember he went to China to "study" a technology which allowed them to develop the car radio.

Mr Lear was a genuinely nice man, who wanted all kids to have the benefit of his experiences but also to be inquisitive. I think he was on wife 5 or 6 at that time.
William Powell Lear (June 26, 1902 – May 14, 1978) was an American inventor and businessman. He is best known for founding Learjet, a manufacturer of business jets. He also invented the battery eliminator for the B battery and developed the car radio and the 8-track cartridge, an audio tape system.[1]Throughout his career of 46 years, Lear received over 140 patents.[2]

Lear traded his business (Radio Coil) for one-third interest in Paul Galvin's Galvin Manufacturing Company. At the time the radio had not yet been developed for use in automobiles. Lear worked with his friend Elmer Wavering to build the first car radio. Lear partnered with Howard Gates of Zenith; Lear designed the circuit and layout, Gates did the metal work and Lear completed the assembly. Galvin initially dismissed the prototype, but later ordered a 200-unit production run. Galvin and Lear mulled over names for the product on a cross-country trip and came up with "Motorola", which was a portmanteau of "motor" and the then popular suffix "-ola" used with audio equipment of the time (for example "Victrola"). The product was such a success that Galvin changed the name of the entire company to Motorola.

• His first wife was Ethel Peterson Lear, daughter Mary Louise was born in January 1925.
  • He married his second wife, Madeline Murphy, in October 1926. Their son, William Lear Jr., was born on May 24, 1928.[23] Daughter Patti was born on June 26, 1929.[citation needed]
  • Lear's third marriage, in February 1936, to Margaret Jane Radell, was childless.[citation needed]
  • In 1941, Lear married his fourth wife, Moya Marie Olsen. They had four children together: John Lear, Shanda, David and Tina.[citation needed]
Lear had a reputation for being difficult.[24]

Probably my favorite Shelby body style was the '68 GT500KR:

1968_shelby_gt500kr_1968_shelby_gt500kr_5029b803-1690-41e5-86ca-09ce09e0c232-YSsqZT-67484-67485-scaled.jpg

What Steve McQueen drove: a 1968 Mustang in the movie "Bullitt"

vvvvv

YrFUxd5U9uJtvQoXiJuqThyNJ89bbU.jpg

legacy_elm_40833889.jpg

Last edited:
McQueen's Mustang in Bullitt, which he did all the driving and stunts himself, and in which he was almost killed in the filming; however, the near miss was so exciting that they continued filming and that scene is in the movie. Incredible driving by McQueen to save the stuntman on the motorcycle and himself.

My favorite movie and for my money, the best chase scene ever.

Last edited:
I'm sure there is a thread somewhere but does anyone here drive an EV? If you would have asked me a week 1/2 ago if I would ever own one - No would be the answer.

Today I own a total EV.

Today I own a total EV.
LC, I hope you get great service from your new vehicle and enjoy it thoroughly.

It's not for me. My two Infinitis are in great condition (my wife's 2021 Q50 has only 18000 miles; my 2012 G-37 convertible has 102,000, but I've taken great care of it). I expect to own them as long as I'm around.

Last edited:
I drive a truck, so this is actually my wife’s car but we both never thought we would end up in an EV.

How it all went down: I bought a truck a little over a year ago and planing on buying a new vehicle for my wife in a couple of years. A wicked hail storm changed those plans. Her poor little Rougue looks like it was caught in a war zone. The adjuster said he has never seen a worse damaged car from hail. Its totaled.
The payoff will be around the 10k-13k range (haven't received final number yet).

We started thinking about a good vehicle for her, but really had no idea what to get, but then last week I spotted a cool looking car at the driving range. I circled the lot to get a second look. It was a Kia. Never thought I would have one of those either. No one I know drives a Kia and I have never driven a Kia, but man she was sweet! I didn't notice it was an EV.

So on Sunday evening, to avoid salesmen, we went to a couple of dealerships. We saw the Kia and my wife thought it was nice, as well. But it was total electric. We went home and she started some research. She was impressed and showed more interest, so I told her my company offers incentives and free charging. Long story short...we drove it Monday. Loved it. Agreed we can make it work. Worse case scenario we can hand it down to our son who will need a car in a year or so.

Again, we were not prepared to buy at this time, but we got an excellent deal on a car we both like. Hopefully we don't live to regret it, but it's a GT and I really enjoyed that on the test drive.

Image 1.jpeg

Image.jpeg

Last edited:
I drive a truck, so this is actually my wife’s car but we both never thought we would end up in an EV.

How it all went down: I bought a truck a little over a year ago and were planing on buying a new vehicle for my wife in a couple of years. A wicked hail storm changed those plans. Her poor little Rougue looks like it was caught in a war zone. The adjuster said he has never seen a worse damaged car from hail. Its totaled.
The payoff will be around the 10k-13k range (haven't received final number yet).

We started thinking about a good vehicle for her, but really had no idea what to get, but then last week I spotted a cool looking car at the driving range. I circled the lot to get a second look. It was a Kia. Never thought I would have one of those either. No one I know drives a Kia and I have never driven a Kia, but man she was sweet! I didn't notice it was an EV.

So on Sunday evening, to avoid salesmen, we went to a couple of dealerships. We saw the Kia and my wife thought it was nice, as well. But it was total electric. We went home and she started some research. She was impressed and showed more interest, so I told her my company offers incentives and free charging. Long story short...we drove it Monday. Loved it. Agreed we can make it work. Worse case scenario we can hand it down to our son who will need a car in a year or so.

Again, we were not prepared to buy at this time, but we got an excellent deal on a car we both like. Hopefully we don't live to regret it, but it's a GT and I really enjoyed that on the test drive.

View attachment 9838

View attachment 9837
Come show it off at Tobert's...

How it all went down: I bought a truck a little over a year ago and were planing on buying a new vehicle for my wife in a couple of years. A wicked hail storm changed those plans. Her poor little Rougue looks like it was caught in a war zone. The adjuster said he has never seen a worse damaged car from hail. Its totaled.

View attachment 9838

View attachment 9837
I hope the automakers come out with low-priced versions of EV’s for the lower end of the market. I think they are good for young adults who don’t do a lot of long trips and if they do, they have time to find charging stations.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back