ISU at Texas 1/17/24

What I liked about that game, is the way Booker was reading the switching defenses and attacking accordingly. What I REALLY liked about that game was the ball movement we showed against the zone at certain times, particularly in the second half. I have been preaching and preaching about that... and I sure hope we become more consistent in doing it.

I know others mentioned how Fennelly complained a couple of years ago about "freedom of movement" when referring to Texas' type of suffocating defense. Well, I know I saw at least a couple of times (resulting in ISU fouls) where their guards were way impeding our guards' "movement" out on the perimeter. Maybe he's had a change of heart.

Bring it.
By “it”, do mean a 7 day hardship contract, Joens herself, or another comment from me? I’m confused.

To be honest, I don’t know how the WNBA works, but teams don’t really seem to keep her around longer than a few days. Maybe she’s not a team player? :idk: Or maybe she’s filling an untapped, lucrative niche in professional basketball. :smokin:

By “it”, do mean a 7 day hardship contract, Joens herself, or another comment from me? I’m confused.

To be honest, I don’t know how the WNBA works, but teams don’t really seem to keep her around longer than a few days. Maybe she’s not a team player? :idk: Or maybe she’s filling an untapped, lucrative niche in professional basketball. :smokin:
But she was a three-time winner of the Cheryl Miller award... :rolleyes1:

There are still two more younger ones I think. After their COVID antics, can’t stand any of them.

I guess I don’t recall the “Covid antics”. I searched but nothing turns up other than her long list of 7 day hardship contracts with various WNBA teams.

Not a personal attack. I dont follow the wnba closely ( my bad) so don't know how her college game translates to the pros. I'm guessing 6' g/f are a dime a dozen in the league and she simply can't find a fit. I'm not going to knock her for that. No need to look any farther than Charli Collier who couldn't even make a bad Dallas Wings team. Ok she lasted a year.

I'm talking about the collegiate Ashley and any of the Jones girls. I'll take them on my team any day. They simply are basketball players.

Last edited:
I guess I don’t recall the “Covid antics”. I searched but nothing turns up other than her long list of 7 day hardship contracts with various WNBA teams.
During COVID protocol that first season back, they refused to test and vaccinate causing them to miss games. Vaccines etc are a highly charged topic so I won’t add anymore to it.

Not a personal attack. I dont follow the wnba closely ( my bad) so don't know how her college game translates to the pros. I'm guessing 6' g/f are a dime a dozen in the league and she simply can't find a fit. I'm not going to knock her for that. No need to look any farther than Charli Collier who couldn't even make a bad Dallas Wings team. Ok she lasted a year.

I'm talking about the collegiate Ashley and any of the Jones girls. I'll take them on my team any day. They simply are basketball players.
Totally get it. If I had a wish list, they’d all be way down at the bottom of my list. If shutting one player down, effectively shuts the whole team down like it did with Ashley, I’d prefer not to have that player on my team. But clearly she was a baller.

My observation as a casual fan ... speed and quickness seems to be a difference maker in the pros. Ashley Joens, Charli, other college stars are often a step too slow, despite their high level skills. Watch the Wings Satou Sabally weave through players to get to the basket ... I focused on her movement at several games and realized that she slipped through the cluster of defenders so quickly that no one could touch her. Reminded me of Marion Jones, the Olympic sprinter. I saw her in a ACC game years ago when she played point guard for North Carolina and moved down the court almost in a blur. It was like watching a roadrunner cartoon! Circuitous way to say that players like Joens will succeed as backups or overseas because they are good players, just don't have that extra gear.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back