Texas @ Baylor 02/01/2024

So were the giant cupcake cutouts in the student section to signify that the Longhorns are cupcakes on their schedule or something more clever?

It’s a promotion by a local bakery. I believe if an opposing player missed both free throws of a pair, the section gets a free cupcake. It’s been misinterpreted by opposing fan bases multiple times.

Shaylee—I’m not criticizing, just relaying—seems to do a fair amount of questioning the foul calls made against her. In particular, there was one blocking call against her in the second half about which she spoke up. The male ref made that call and in response to Shaylee’s protest, whipped his head in her direction and seemed to say, “Stop talking to me!” Anyone else notice that?

She appeared to take the rebuke in stride. Seemed to remember one of the okie state commentators mentioning and admiring Shaylee’s hutzpah (sp?) in this regard.

I really like this kid. Wish her scoring was more productive, but like Shay, she just puts her head down and goes to work.
If you watch the replay, she is usually right when she complains and keeps quiet when she truly makes the foul. She would make a great ref.

It’s a promotion by a local bakery. I believe if an opposing player missed both free throws of a pair, the section gets a free cupcake. It’s been misinterpreted by opposing fan bases multiple times.
Thanks for the clarification. Not surprised it gets misinterpreted often.

Really a fun game for Horns last night. Went with 8 Bear alumnae and a lot of good natured trash talk before game. Most of the game Horns took fans out. Baylor fans were gracious and nice, although passionate. Not as many Horns fan as I was supposing. Holle was great although only scored two. I like the new stadium although not finished. Now on to KState.
Glad you had a good experience. Maybe the new coach is rubbing off on the fan base because they were god awful under Mulkey.

During the press conference, a reporter asked Vic about possible future games between BU and Texas. Vic was noncommittal. What do folks think? Also, Vic mentioned Texas and UConn are discussing possible future match-ups.
Baylor, Tech and a few other Big 12 schools wouldn't be high on my list to play as future non-conference opponents. Of course it doesn't get any "better" than scheduling UConn.

That being said, playing Baylor or Tech helps us in so many way moreso than playing the likes of UTRGV, Southern, UT-Arlington, McNeese, Oral Roberts, Jackson State. So, if what Vic has been saying the last couple of seasons is true that it's been tough finding "quality" opponents who want to come play us in Austin, and some former Big 12 programs are willing to do so, then do it. No excuses.

If it were me, I wouldn't go play a game in Waco or Lubbock (unless it's a type of homecoming game we schedule for a Lubbock native like Aaliyah Chavez). I have no problem scheduling games at SMU, TCU, Houston, or Rice for the sake of playing games in recruiting hotbeds and where we have large number of alumni.

After watching that post-game presser, Vic singles out UConn and the SEC/ACC Challenge among our possible non-conference games next year. Series would rotate back to UConn next season, and no guarantee our ACC challenge game would be at home. So, if Vic thinks those two games are "enough" and we have no room for Baylor, I strongly disagree. He needs at least 4 games against Top 25 to Top 50 programs, and two of them need to be at home. Other non-conference games are not going to get him the attendance numbers he wants. If holiday tournaments at neutral sites get us those strong matchups, then it comes at the expense of possible large home fan turnouts.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back