2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

I’m vehemently opposed to tampering…………..but then again, we could really use a stud DT. Plus, is it really tampering if the school with whom one is alleged to be tampering achieved their success nefariously?

(If a tree falls in the forest…)
Are you suggesting someone is stealing portal signs?

No One saw this coming.:rolleyes1: Well except for many on here including Sabre
and of course Saban.
Yes Texas can pay IF they want someone but Dayum

No One saw this coming.:rolleyes1: Well except for many on here including Sabre
and of course Saban.
Yes Texas can pay IF they want someone but Dayum

I think a lot of people saw it coming. The minute Cali announced their law I knew college football as we know it was over because the NCAA refused to attack it early on by adding NIL guidelines and restricting portal movement. It's the wild west and I made the comment very early on that I hate it but since it's the law and we have more $$ than anyone else we may as well dive in head first.

Is it Sark or is it NIL or both that has helped our turnaround come so quickly? I don't know, but I would place a bet now if we end up winning one or multiple championships at the same time Bama heads south it will be used as the poster child for what happened to college football when NIL was implemented.

College football as we knew it is dead. Maybe the profitable and near profitable programs just need to spin off Football and Basketball from the schools and just stop any pretense that they are anything other than minor leagues for the nfl and nba (and other professional bb leagues). The schools would license the logos etc. to the independent entities and would also lease the existing facilities being enough for the schools to fund women's sports and non-revenue sports (baseball is non-revenue enough to stay under the umbrella of the schools). Ticket and television revenues go to the football and bb entities (not sure what form that takes but BMD's would likely be shareholders of a corporation). Unionize and pay the players with a collective bargaining agreement putting in some type of salary cap and floor and limiting portal movement drastically. Players would be employees and part of their agreement would be to attend classes at the school associated with their employer. Obviously, it would result in a two-tier system with the Sec and Big as well as some others being in the top tier with independent football and bb programs while the others would probably still be part of the school just as other non-revenue sports. Sad, but conferences would be done and eventually go back to more regional pods or divisions somewhat like the nfl and nba. Nothings perfect, but the current system can't continue as is.

I think a lot of people saw it coming. The minute Cali announced their law I knew college football as we know it was over because the NCAA refused to attack it early on by adding NIL guidelines and restricting portal movement. It's the wild west and I made the comment very early on that I hate it but since it's the law and we have more $$ than anyone else we may as well dive in head first.

Is it Sark or is it NIL or both that has helped our turnaround come so quickly? I don't know, but I would place a bet now if we end up winning one or multiple championships at the same time Bama heads south it will be used as the poster child for what happened to college football when NIL was implemented.
well Alabama has plenty NIL money so they can't say NIL hurt their chances.

well Alabama has plenty NIL money so they can't say NIL hurt their chances.
I have no personal direct knowledge, but from second hand reports I had the impression there was a lot of cash going to SEC players and families. Maybe now that schools unimpacted by the SEC gentleman's agreement can get money to players it has removed what had been a competitive advantage.

X,

"Third string" for Locksley was a tossup between the lawsuit for beating up one of his assistants and getting in a fight with three students in a bar near campus when he overheard them talking about how pathetic his team played.

Of course his "first string" remains the GOAT - when he saw the two women working in his office and announced, "I need pretty, young women. You two are fired?"

lol yeah, I get how specific situations are sketchy. Didn't want us to think that a 3rd strong QB wasn't ever a $1m NIL, let alone $100k.

I’m all for the players gaining ability to benefit from their brand. But, within some loose guidelines. Professional sports could not/would not exist under this willy nilly mess. More to the point of college affiliation. With transfer portals fall and spring, a peripatetic jock never has to finish a semester. KSU made a living off Ju-cos that never went to school. If a player has no class success owing to touring their eligibility has to be pulled. That or completely drop any notion of college athletics.

Add Third Ward to KSU. I asked a kid that was finishing his fourth year over on Cullen what he was going to do "next" and what his degree was in. He looed at me like I was crazy and said, "degree? I've only been here four years, but I do have 9 or maybe 19 hours credit"

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back