Inside the Committee's Deliberations

I don't like teams being put in the CFP based on subjectivity and opinion, therefore what happens on the field matters and to me bama losing by double digits at home should cost them when FSU went undefeated.

You don't like teams being chosen based on opinion, and yet you believe that "a team losing by double digits at home should cost them when FSU went undefeated." In case you hadn't noticed, that is an opinion (the giveaways are the phrase "to me" and the word "should"). The only way to minimize opinion is to let the computers choose, but, even then, they are subject to the opinions of the programmers who create the algorithms as to what is most important (witness how the various computer rankings differed from one another back in the day when they formed part of the selection process).

Last edited:
Maybe someone can help me out.
I was trying to figure out the bracket for a 12 team playoff but could not.
I can work out a Brackett for a 4, 8, 16
Teams 5-12 play each other, the winners play 1-4.

TCU is why FSU got snubbed. Nobody wants to see that carnage again.
This could be a real factor.
But of course it's not fair.
Florida State may very well win a game or two in the playoffs. It could happen but it won't. They are not there.

The Committee watched that painful ACC Championship game, and witnessed FSU's offense first hand. With that ugly, pathetic offense, FSU would lose any game in the playoffs they played--probably by more than 2 touchdowns. Without Travis, FSU isn't even close to a playoff level team.

It sucks, and it's a cruel thing. But if you don't recruit and develop quality depth, stuff like this can happen.

I am only responding to your posts so you are beating the drum hard on this subject also.
Look, bama is better than FSU at this moment. But that is an opinion, therefore it is subjective. I don't like teams being put in the CFP based on subjectivity and opinion, therefore what happens on the field matters and to me bama losing by double digits at home should cost them when FSU went undefeated. It now feels like "let's just put in whoever we think is best".
So this is travesty. This why I am banging the drum hard.
I asked why you are beating the FSU drum so hard.

Horns are in, that's all I care about. :beertoast:

:hookem2:

This guy cares... or maybe he's pandering to the voters... his office is probably in Tallahassee, the state capital, so I would think he's on a first name basis with more than a few FSU muckety mucks.
DeSantis slams CFP, wants to sue over FSU snub

DeSantis and Scott--I am going to have to count to 10 before I post to make sure I don't violate any forum rules from here on out. . . . Just to be extra safe, I'm signing off this particular thread. ;)

JD Pickell brought up a good point. If the final reason for FSU not making the 4 team playoff because of the injury to Jordan Travis, then why did they keep them in the top 4 rankings until the last week?

JD Pickell brought up a good point. If the final reason for FSU not making the 4 team playoff because of the injury to Jordan Travis, then why did they keep them in the top 4 rankings until the last week?

Probably because their 2nd string QB, who was a maybe until game day of the ACC title game, looked OK vs. Florida. While their 3rd stringer, understandably as a true freshman, was not a good college level QB. FSU stinking it out vs. Louisville is what cost them their playoff spot.

Now they probably would have gotten their 2nd string QB back for the bowl game, as he had a concussion as I understand it, but with a month until the games he will likely be back for that.

We'd be livid, understandably, if Texas had gone 12-0 and missed out on the playoffs. Can't really slam FSU's scheduling either, as they did play LSU, who was decent though not top 5 or 10.

You don't like teams being chosen based on opinion, and yet you believe that "a team losing by double digits at home should cost them when FSU went undefeated." In case you hadn't noticed, that is an opinion (the giveaways are the phrase "to me" and the word "should"). The only way to minimize opinion is to let the computers choose, but, even then, they are subject to the opinions of the programmers who create the algorithms as to what is most important (witness how the various computer rankings differed from one another back in the day when they formed part of the selection process).
of course it's an opinion and a better one with better logic!

of course it's an opinion and a better one with better logic!
So, it's not really that you object to the teams being chosen by means of opinions. It's just opinions that differ from your own that you object to. Makes perfect sense to me. ;)

Let's reverse the circumstances here.
Does anyone on this board think we'd be a real possibility to win over any of the other 3 CFP teams (or even a top 10 team) without Quinn starting? I think the committee did the right thing here - because IMO the FSU backups are not as good as our backups, and I don't think ours could pull out a victory against a CFP or even top 10 opponent this year.

Because their vote had no repercussions. Next question.

Let's reverse the circumstances here.
Does anyone on this board think we'd be a real possibility to win over any of the other 3 CFP teams (or even a top 10 team) without Quinn starting? I think the committee did the right thing here - because IMO the FSU backups are not as good as our backups, and I don't think ours could pull out a victory against a CFP or even top 10 opponent this year.
I'll do you one better. Imagine it was Colt or VY out, who are more comparable to the FSU quarterback as far as Hype$man consideration, anyway.

For God’s sake, lets turn this whole thing over to professional politicians. We will end up with Cal playing UMass. Reality has its roots in whose ox is gored.

Per the committee's official protocol, an injury to a key player doesn't matter in the rankings unless it impacts the team's likely performance in the playoffs. I think it was reasonable for the committee to give FSU's backups a chance to prove themselves before docking them in the rankings.

Travis's injury occurred in the North Alabama game. Rodemaker came in and played meh -- not horrible, but certainly not great. Just over 50% completions, 217 yards, 2 TD's, and 0 INTs. I think it was reasonable not to move FSU down at this point because the jury was still out.

Then came the Florida game, and Rodemaker's numbers got worse. Just below 50% completion, 134 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs. I think they should have lowered FSU in the rankings at that point because it was clear that Travis's injury was impacting FSU's performance.

The only reason I can think of for why the committee didn't lower FSU was that Rodemaker got hurt late in the game, and thus FSU was going to be starting their third-string QB in the CCG. Maybe they wanted to give him a chance to see how it played out?

In any event, in the Louisville game we got to see Brock Glen go 8 for 21 with 55 yards, 0 TDs, and 0 INTs. At that point, the committee had no choice but to conclude that Travis's inability was impacting FSU's performance, and that wasn't likely to change. Thus, they finally docked him.

Assuming they were really planning this all out, they possibly were assuming Georgia would beat Alabama and then the problem would be solved except for one thing; what do you do about Texas?

Ewers in the Big 12 Champ game total passing yards was greater than the entire ACC championship and the entire Big Ten championship. All 4 teams combined.

Did the Michigan Iowa game even need to be played? No. Neither would Michigan vs Florida State. Now Michigan has a tough one with Bama.

Anyone who is arguing for FSU, would be arguing for FSU over Texas if Georgia won.

oh, speaking about SOS.
FSU beat
LSU
Miami
Florida
Louisville
etc
These teams have good athletes and coaches. FSU took care of biz when they could have faltered.
Yet Vegas has FSU a 14 point dog against another non CFP team.
FSU is not one of the top 4 teams. Errrbody outside of Tallahassee knows this.

Ewers in the Big 12 Champ game total passing yards was greater than the entire ACC championship and the entire Big Ten championship. All 4 teams combined.

Did the Michigan Iowa game even need to be played? No. Neither would Michigan vs Florida State. Now Michigan has a tough one with Bama.

Anyone who is arguing for FSU, would be arguing for FSU over Texas if Georgia won.

I was just talking about that with a friend this morning at work. It would have been Texas v FSU all day long. Apparently, the AP thought much of Texas as we finished #3 in the regular season poll. That spoke volumes. We passed the eyeball test along with possessing possibly the best win of the year; on the road by double-digits over mighty Alabama. I guess nobody is pointing at us now because there was room for both FSU and Texas in the final four. We made sense in the current scenario. You had to drop Georgia. We beat Alabama. No brainer.

I was just talking about that with a friend this morning at work. It would have been Texas v FSU all day long. Apparently, the AP thought much of Texas as we finished #3 in the regular season poll. That spoke volumes. We passed the eyeball test along with possessing possibly the best win of the year; on the road by double-digits over mighty Alabama. I guess nobody is pointing at us now because there was room for both FSU and Texas in the final four. We made sense in the current scenario. You had to drop Georgia. We beat Alabama. No brainer.
Hats off to Tceh and Okie Light for taking it in the shorts to boost UTs credibility.
So Joey, when you said everything runs through Lubbock, can you please expound on what that substance is?
Yorkmarks tears?
The L’s you took this year?
Your comments “breakin like I told you thaay waz gonna do” ?
You broke, pal. Life comes at ya fast.

On all those close games we had….. Anyone thinking it was about bad schemes as opposed to us just” chillin” has been put to bed.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back