quantum physics concerning duality of particles, article of interest

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by zork, Jun 26, 2015.

1. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

I don't understand the implications of this article but it seems like it is really interesting. The online magazine, from Australia, seems to give lots of weekly articles of interest from the Science journals dumbed down or summarized a bit for us non-uber scientists but beyond simple laymen(to a certain degree).

You can get 5 free articles I believe:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physical-sciences/time-travel-and-single-atom

This kind of article leads me to believe we don't even have a clue about what we don't know about a lot in science or the world for that matter. What do you think?

Check out this equipment, mind blowing:

[​IMG]

Their blog is good as well:
    http://blog.cosmosmagazine.com/

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

If I were to go back and re-do my college years I would include some physics in the curriculum. I don't know that I would get beyond some introductory stuff (because math!), but it is super fascinating.

Several years ago I read Walter Isaacson’s biography of Einstein and it just blew my mind what he did with relativity and how his theories have changed the world. I wish I understood it better. The people who really get this stuff in a deep way must have brains that work on a whole different level.

From @zork’s linked article:

Sometimes a photon will behave like a particle, bouncing like a pebble off a wall. But photons can also behave like waves, rippling as they pass between narrow gaps. Weirdly, the observer appears to determine the characteristics the photon adopts. Test it for waviness and it will behave like a wave; look for particle-like behaviour, and that’s how it will manifest. [...] In the late 1970s John Wheeler, one of the giants of 20th century physics, was pondering this when he realised quantum behaviour implied an even weirder possibility – that an observer’s influence on a photon’s behaviour could travel back in time.

British scientist J.B.S. Haldane said “Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.”

Can our observations or intentions affect reality on the macro scale?

• Like Like x 1
  3. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Yea it is mind blowing what they are implicating and seemingly observing.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

So Dion, Is this like "think it and you can be it?" No, not in a Jenner sense.

5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Well it makes me wonder. I think Nature is a much bigger mystery than we can even get a handle on.

• Like Like x 1