2023 Softball Season

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Ellis21d, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Great interview with Mike White. Sounds like Martinez will get the start at Short stop or 2nd base and Alyssa Washington will be opposite of her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the heads up. These guys are on my podcast list but they are so LOUD and ANNOYING in their actual broadcast that I only listen to the episodes that concern Texas.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Thanks Jacob for posting this interview with Coach White! They asked some great questions. He commented on how he felt Citlaly Gutierrez was going to be a big contributor this year! He didn’t miss Mentioning most everyone he felt would be contributing to the team this year. He got me a excited about the upcoming season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Passing out the bling from the success of the 2022 season! Nice!

• Like Like x 3
  5. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

Looks like Bella Dayton maybe out for some time, has a cast on her left arm in photos.

6. hookem4eva

hookem4eva 25+ Posts

Simpson SO | 29 APP | 3.57 ERA | 8-4 | 105 SO |
    Morgan SO | 30 APP | 2.82 ERA | 18-3 | 75 SO |
    Czech JR | 30 APP | 3.24 ERA | 13-2 | 83 SO |
    Hulon JR | 13 APP| 6.56 ERA | 1-0 | 15 SO |
    Day JR | 3 APP| 2.21 ERA | 0-0 | 2 SO |

Texas offense
    Mya Holmes .000 AVG
    Vanessa Quiroga .100 AVG
    Jordyn Whitaker .177 AVG
    Bella Dayton .276 AVG
    Lou Gilbert .217 AVG
    Mia Scott .377 AVG
    Alyssa Washington .279 AVG
    Courtney Day .300 AVG
    Alyssa Popelka .348 AVG
    Camille Corona .500 AVG
    Katie Cimusz .244 AVG
    Baylea Brandon .280 AVG

Freshman newcomers
    Citlaly Gutierrez
    Ashton Maloney (redshirt)
    Maddie Pomykalski
    Reese Atwood
    Viviana Martinez
    Leighann Goode

Morgan, Simpson and Czech all have the same amount of appearances. Simpson is the strikeout pitcher out of the 3. I expect Morgan to be the ace with Czech and Simpson battling for the 2nd spot. Gutierrez also looked well in the fall but it was against community colleges. She did have a good summer with travel ball. She played for Texas Bombers Gold under Cat Osterman and Scott Smith. The same team Mia Scott, Sophia Simpson, JJ Smith, and Baylea Brandon played on before Texas who also finished runner up at the Alliance National Chanpionships. Bombers went 46-7 last year including a runner up finish at the Alliance National Championship. Gutierrez got the 3rd most innings behind 2023 ace and Baylor commit (Warncke) , and 2022 OU commit (Guerin). Gutierrez had 22 appearances and pitched 65 innings last summer recording a 9-2 record, 2.26 ERA (lowest on team) and 72 SO (second on team). I expect her to get mound time as well.

For the returners I expect Scott, Popelka, Day, Dayton, Washington, Cimusz, and Brandon to always be in the lineup. I expect Gilbert and Corona to get dibs off the bench.

For the newcomers I expect Maloney, Atwood, and Martinez to make the lineup as well. They looked great in the fall.

3B - Scott
    SS/2B - Washington/Martinez
    1B - Brandon, Atwood, Cimusz
    C - Cimusz, Atwood
    OF - Popelka, Dayton, Gilbert.

I hope White stops putting random players in right field. We’re going to be missing big bats this year as he said they’re gonna be relying on contact, speed, and small ball so the defense needs to be sharp. I really hope Day, Whitaker and Cimusz stay out of right field. Can’t wait for the season. 28 days left!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Great article from Flo softball on the upcoming Big 12 season.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Looks like we have more uniform options for this season. On a very Western Media day. Appears to be 5 different options. 27 more days until kickoff of the season! 6E22F2DA-DF36-4580-87AC-9A758B64A58F.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  9. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

And the final media day clip is now out! Love it!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

11. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Preseason picked 3rd in the B12 for the 3rd(?) straight year.

Mia Scott on 12 member Preseason team which includes 7 OU players and…Kiley Naomi from OSU, which makes no sense to me. She just had an awful season I would’ve put Kilfoyl over her.

12. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Win enough games to get into the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may.

14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I guess that's what the rest of the Big 12 feels about UT Volleyball. I mean, #1 is obviously OU. And with OSU, Maxwell is considered a star pitcher. But, they had a couple of players transfer out and a new hitting coach. But, they are transfer-U and they did pick up a few experienced transfers.

At least Mia Scott was unanimous....right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jacob Johnson

A lot of people are going to be shocked when Texas does better than everyone expects. My bold prediction for a player would be Martinez wins big 12 freshman of the year and earns a spot on the all big 12 team. After watching her in fall ball her swing has much more power than I expected. Excited to see this team!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I agree with us being 3rd. My question mark was because I couldn’t remember if this was the 3rd straight year.

17. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I think due in March?

• Like Like x 4
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Orange jersey with white pin stripes and script "Texas" is a new look, I believe.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, orange pants with white pin stripes!

• Like Like x 2
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Still no capes though. Neither here nor in football...

23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, a new white jersey with the Longhorn logo over the chest:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

26. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

Still no TV for opening weekend games yet, sure hope they find away to get them live.

27. Jacob Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/live/5dEEkr0Y_to?feature=share
    I don’t believe they had the tournament last year but the year prior they streamed all the games through this YouTube channel so let’s hope that is the case this season as well.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Jacob Johnson

Looks like Texas will be without Dayton to begin the season as she looks to be in a cast on her right arm I believe. She’s been in it for a couple weeks now so I’m not sure how significant her injury is but I hope it’s not too serious where she misses an extended amount of games.

29. Jacob Johnson

NFCA | National Fastpitch Coaches Association
    based on this article the games will be streamed live and for free on the game changer app.

How to Download & Watch

1. Download the GC app on your phone or device
    2. Create your free account
    3. Search for your team type: University Name + Mascot + NFCA
    4. Click the blue 'Join Team' button

• Like Like x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts