2023 Softball Season

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Ellis21d, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

What are they building behind the left field fence?

2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I believe it’s student housing for graduate students at UT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jacob Johnson

So Danny Davis won’t be covering the softball team this season and it really sucks because I am sure there will be a significant drop off in coverage now that he has other priorities. I hope this isn’t the case:whiteflag:

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

5. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Can’t believe opening day is tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm so glad Coach White decided to start the season at a tourney with better, more predictable weather than we get in Austin in early February. Think after 2 seasons ago with the home tourney being canceled, he figured heading to Florida was best.

I am surprised we aren't having any tourneys in California or Arizona any longer; i think that's 2 seasons in a row now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Just now seeing that Logan Hulon has entered the transfer portal…didn’t see her contributing much anyway but it’s never good to lose an arm.

I don’t know if Mike planned on using Courtney Day in the circle much this season, but she’s probably going to have to throw a few more innings than she did last year. We only have 4 other pitchers on staff.

I do think Courtney is the better pitcher between the two; I was extremely surprised when MW signed Hulon from Houston.

We play softball in 37 hours! Hook ‘em

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Interesting. But as you said, not someone you could count on for many innings. This would be a second transfer for her. So either she graduated or is willing to sit out another year. And, already off the official roster!

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Strange timing for Hulon to enter the transfer portal. Perhaps it's a good sign as to how the other (younger) pitchers were performing in the Fall, and she saw herself pitching limited innings if she remained in the program.

Surprised she wouldn't have transferred during Winter break (in order to play this season). As was noted, perhaps she wants to complete her coursework and graduate from Texas this Spring before moving on (as a grad-transfer).

10. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

The post I saw on Twitter said she has graduated before entered the portal…not sure how true that is or how long she has been in the portal, but she hasn’t been off the official roster more than a couple weeks at most.

I would agree that playing time was probably the biggest factor.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I did this and it was fairly straightforward. When you search for "Texas", choose the second one with Longhorns NFCA

[​IMG]

14. Jacob Johnson

surprised Brandon didn’t get the start

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Reese Atwood must have impressed

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Modelo22

Modelo22 25+ Posts

Hookem ! way to get that first win under the belt. Loved seeing new players stepping up and playing with confidence . Now lets finish the night STRONG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Has the NW game started yet?

18. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

19. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Texas up 8-5 going to the 5th inning. I thought MW stuck with Gutierrez a little too long, hopefully those last couple runs she gave up don’t hurt us by the end.

Offense has been good, defense starting to look a little shaky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

These bases loaded situations gonna catch up to us

21. Jacob Johnson

And they have. Really let this game get away from us with the little errors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

They scored 10 runs on only 5 hits. 8 walks, 3HBP, 1 error.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Second game was so agonizing. Simpson, still no control. I'm surprised that an experienced pitcher like Czech can't or won't bring the ball up for an ump who likes high strikes. NW just had to sit there and wait for us to walk them! And with the lead, Mike stops with small ball and starts swinging for the fences like 2022?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I wasn't terribly upset with this loss. Pitching was disapointing as were the late inning errors but Ladies didn't quit. I think everything we do this weekend will be compared to last year's start. So far, over all, I like our product.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Modelo22

Modelo22 25+ Posts

Yes should be 2-0 right now but this team is soooo young very impressed with they're play . Ill agree pitching was sketch didnt help the UMP didnt like balls over the plate . Coach should of stuck to small ball to push through a win last night . But also keep in mind beat a #23 team fairly easy and should of beat a #8 team that all the reporters have going to the WCWS if no the SHIP.

i think these girls are gonna be a force HOOKEM

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Jacob Johnson

Very impressed with Goode and Martinez. Both are going to be special and much needed this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Jacob Johnson

Tomorrow’s schedule. I’d much rather play Tennessee than Illinois though.

28. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Texas beats Illinois 7-0, Estelle throws a complete game shutout.

The freshmen are looking better than some of our returners. All 3 freshmen had hits including 5RBI’s & HR by Atwood, triple by Goode. Courtney Day and Alyssa Washington not hitting well so far this season.

will play Kentucky in 30 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I happened to catch Atwood's HR in the few minutes I've been able to watch the game. I also saw two errors. I assume one for SS and one for 2B? They hadn't put up the box score.

30. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

One of the errors was on Czech making a bad throw to 2B, I think the other was on Martinez at 2B.