Coaching News and Rumors

IT mentioned Coach Choate will remain with Texas until the season is over, but will also balance his Nevada duties.

General question - in a case like this if he were to totally leave now, would he forfeit any additional bonuses the coaches may get for winning the CFP or playing in the championship? Would he not get a ring if we were to win it all? I assume he would lose all of that but just wondering out loud.

Bishop.

I know it's ancient history, but see also Frank Broyles. Consider those directly or one removed from Coach Broyles:

Fred Akers
Jim Mackenzie
Chuck Fairbanks
Barry Switzer
Bill Michael (best coach I've ever known)
Gary Gibbs
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Gundy
Terry Don Phillips (OK, he was AD, but belongs on the tree)

That's for starters because I'm sure I missed some.

Bishop.

I know it's ancient history, but see also Frank Broyles. Consider those directly or one removed from Coach Broyles:

Fred Akers
Jim Mackenzie
Chuck Fairbanks
Barry Switzer
Gary Gibbs
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Gundy

Did you know Jimmy Johnson in high school?

No, Jimmy was several years ahead of me. Bill Michael was his position coach at Port Arthur and told Coach Broyles he should take him. Like everyone in South Jefferson County, I knew of his self-proclaimed "best friend" Kyle Haines. Haines was about twice Jimmy's size and accepted a scholarship to play for the Horns. According to a story told by Coach Royal, the first week of practice, Haines was told by another freshman player that he was going to the COOP to sell back a book he bought by mistake. Haines was amazed you could do that, so he went to the COOP, sold all his books back, went to Tom Dennis' Sporting Goods and used the money to buy fishing tackle. When Coach Royal found out, he told Haines he had until practice started to go buy the books back or clean out his room. Haines returned to being the "King of 16th Street" picking fights with kids half his size.

Nobody knew of Janis, although at one time she lived across the street from Jimmy Crouch, Horn baseball player in late 60s/early 70s.

Everyone was listening to Swamp Rock, particularly The Boogie Kings and Jerry LaCroix (PNG Class of 1962 ??), aka Jerry Count Jackson, later lead singer of Rare Earth and Blood Sweat & Tears after David Clayton Thomas quit two weeks before their European and Asian tours; also people like Rod Bernard, Jivin Gene Bourgeois. Janis didn't start singing until she was several years in Austin. Legend has it that she got drunk at the original Threadgill's on north Lamar, grab the mic and started wailing. Her big break came at Monterrey Pop in 1967 (??), which is THE GREATEST music festival of all time. It launched the careers of:

Janis
The Who (big in England but unknown in US)
Jimi Hendrix (again big hit in Europe but unknown in US)
Otis Redding

Bishop.

Fred Akers
Jim Mackenzie
Chuck Fairbanks
Barry Switzer
Gary Gibbs
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Gundy

Sabre, that is the way to do it.
More recently, Saban has been following that path of developing great coaches.

EE72,

How can think that? I was really looking forward to Yormark eliminating the bands and halftime and replacing them with headliner rasslin match, followed by some no talent guy wearing 42 pounds of fake gold jewelry belting out pseudo music.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back