Conference & State of Texas teams

:bu:

Baylor's Big 12 records during Rodriguez's term as head coach (aka his "track record" in recent years).

2022 7-17
2021 11-13
2020 n/a*
2019 14-8
2018 13-11
2017 12-12
2016 10-14

Baseball Statistical Archive

Maybe S. Rodriguez has a knack for coaching batters (like Tulo did), I don't know if he does or doesn't. But...he left Baylor in shambles, after going 7-17 his last year there. Baylor is getting creamed. They just got swept 3 games by Mercer.

Right now, they're 5-11, including the following losses:

5-20 Central Michigan
1-20 Duke
3-22 Duke

Consider what would happen on the 40 if Pierce had even 1 of those 3 losses...

Baylor's staff ERA ---- 7.21
Baylor's team batting avg ---- 0.230

Maybe he's good just at coaching hitting. I hope he is, and I hope our bats continue to improve. Maybe assistant coach on the batting/offensive side is where he belongs... We'll see. But his Baylor track record isn't what you'd normally want to see. Just saying...

I don't root for him to fail here.
I'm just skeptical considering his track record.
That, and how good Tulo was at coaching hitting.
It could be an unfair comparison.
:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

:bu:

Baylor's Big 12 records during Rodriguez's term as head coach (aka his "track record" in recent years).

2022 7-17
2021 11-13
2020 n/a*
2019 14-8
2018 13-11
2017 12-12
2016 10-14

Baseball Statistical Archive

Maybe S. Rodriguez has a knack for coaching batters (like Tulo did), I don't know if he does or doesn't. But...he left Baylor in shambles, after going 7-17 his last year there. Baylor is getting creamed. They just got swept 3 games by Mercer.

Right now, they're 5-11, including the following losses:

5-20 Central Michigan
1-20 Duke
3-22 Duke

Consider what would happen on the 40 if Pierce had even 1 of those 3 losses...

Baylor's staff ERA ---- 7.21
Baylor's team batting avg ---- 0.230

I’m not upset that Baylor baseball is floundering of late, but it is a really curious tumble for a program that was historically a pretty good, solid program.

Do you think he left Baylor in shambles? Or do you think Baylor is in shambles because he left? He was no slouch as the HC at Pepperdine or his early seasons at Baylor.

Rodriguez WAS the head coach at Baylor for the last 6 years.

Well that makes quite a difference. I guess that shows how much attention I pay to Baylor.

Still, when you say "he left Baylor in shambles" I got the impression they were real good when he got there and he drove them into the ground, but that is not the case. They were below .500 the 3 seasons before he came. So, to my mind, the worst you could say about him is he did not improve the program.

Well that makes quite a difference. I guess that shows how much attention I pay to Baylor.

Still, when you say "he left Baylor in shambles" I got the impression they were real good when he got there and he drove them into the ground, but that is not the case. They were below .500 the 3 seasons before he came. So, to my mind, the worst you could say about him is he did not improve the program.

I’m not positive about the time frame, but I think they made it to the regionals several years under Rodriguez, and he was Big 12 COY at least once at Baylor. Rodriguez wasn’t just some schmoe who got a HC job at Baylor. He was a respected, successful head coach.

Saw UTA in action tonight - solid ball club. Sound defense, smart batting and decent starting pitching (sadly starting shortstop dove for a ball early in the game and appeared to separate his shoulder and had to leave the game) they just didn’t seem to have the bullpen horses to fend off our batters tonight.

UTA's becoming a pretty decent baseball program.

Clay Gould field is tiny, but I don't think they get all that much student and local fan support. Not yet anyways. They've got a nice basketball arena at UTA.

SMU needs a baseball team.

UTA's becoming a pretty decent baseball program.

Clay Gould field is tiny, but I don't think they get all that much student and local fan support. Not yet anyways. They've got a nice basketball arena at UTA.

SMU needs a baseball team.

How in the world can NDSU field a baseball team but SMU can't?

Tech took the first one from OSU in extra innings. Man it was cold. OSU starting pitcher, Hendry, was very effective. Took our big hitters out of the game. Had great run support, but once they went to the bullpen, it went south. 4 errors for Xerox U (a solid fielding team usually) ultimately cost them the game.

Can't win ballgames doing that.

I'm interested to see if OSU on the mound is basically just Hendry then a sharp drop-off.

Lost today’s game. Was expecting Watts-Brown on the bump for OSU, but a late change by the Cowboys put Ben Abram as the starter. Abram was solid, but not spectacular, but good enough to book the win. Okie State’s bullpen looked better today. Our starter, Mason Molina, walked the first batter of the game…nuff said. Rubber match coming up tomorrow.

Lost today’s game. Was expecting Watts-Brown on the bump for OSU, but a late change by the Cowboys put Ben Abram as the starter. Abram was solid, but not spectacular, but good enough to book the win. Okie State’s bullpen looked better today. Our starter, Mason Molina, walked the first batter of the game…nuff said. Rubber match coming up tomorrow.
That series is a real dogfight.

Run-ruled them, but things got a little chippy and Beckel, our bullpen “ace” was ejected and will miss the tilt in Austin this coming weekend. (Imagine all sorts of curse words and stomping around from me right now)
Did he intentionally bean someone?

Did he intentionally bean someone?
No…both dugouts were getting mouthy and got warnings. Beckel got a strikeout to end the inning…an inning with OSU threatening. He was pumped up, and said something (unsure what at this point) to the runner from 1st as he ran by. Both teams head to the dugouts. A bit later, Holliday comes out of the dugout and has an extended discussion about what Beckel said to his player and they tell Tadlock Beckel was tossed. There’s an automatic 4-game suspension with an ejection, and Tech doesn’t have any midweek games this week, so he’s out for the entire series with y’all and a Tuesday game against New Mexico. Should be available for the TCU series.

No…both dugouts were getting mouthy and got warnings. Beckel got a strikeout to end the inning…an inning with OSU threatening. He was pumped up, and said something (unsure what at this point) to the runner from 1st as he ran by. Both teams head to the dugouts. A bit later, Holliday comes out of the dugout and has an extended discussion about what Beckel said to his player and they tell Tadlock Beckel was tossed. There’s an automatic 4-game suspension with an ejection, and Tech doesn’t have any midweek games this week, so he’s out for the entire series with y’all and a Tuesday game against New Mexico. Should be available for the TCU series.
Sounds like Holliday was being a whiny little #$%&*

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back