Random Offseason News

Duke,

That may be the most difficult question ever on this site. A few:

1) 73 OU I think that was 62-13 & the third loss in a row to OU was the beginning of the end for the DKR era

2) ND in 71 Cotton Bowl - dirtiest damn team I've ever seen.

3) 79 A&M We were headed to the Sugar Bowl with maybe our best defense ever, a defense which I think was on the field 50 minutes of the game. A&M coaching staff did an outstanding job of scheming and carrying out their plan.

4) UGA Cotton Bowl

5) UCLA - Might be higher up if not for that face saving FG so Mackovic wasn't shut out

6) Freedom Bowl - that was a political nightmare. Fred accepted bid without Deloss knowing and to get even the "we hate Fred" group kept the school from offering tickets. Season ticket holders got no notice or opportunity to purchase tickets. Miserable conditions in SoCal and worse performance.

7) Cotton Bowl against the convicts

8) Third Ward in the Dome I think we threw more picks than completions

9) Miss State & Jackie Sherrill tie with Loserville & Schnellenberger

10) Mack Brown era needs its own catagory for losing to far less talented teams
Great (and painful) walk through memory lane. Your memory is better than mine is.

I have to agree with 365 about the 2008 Tech game although the loss to Alabama in January 2010 was much more impactful for the program, and not in a good way.

In that Tech game, the room service drop is a play that none of us will ever forget, Earl Thomas’ “whiff” was inexplicable, the poor late game time management was questionable, and the constant holding of Orakpo… assuming (of course) that having your OLs arm wrapped around the neck of an oncoming rusher, preventing any progress, is actually considered a holding penalty in Lubbock by the home team.

The Freedom Bowl is also a tough memory for me. As you mentioned, the weather was terrible. Jerry’s Kids were absolutely torched by Chuck Long, as if they were playing in concrete boots. My best friend at the time joined me with his wife, who remained in the car (in the parking lot) for the entire game. She wasn’t a happy camper. I think I still have the program for that game.

Craig Curry's dropped punt against Georgia cost us one Natty
I hear you, Sangre, but Let's also point out that the fumble would not have made the game difference if the offense hadn't settled for three FGs against Georgia. Make that two TDs and a FG and it's till a W (and a National Championship).

I hear you, Sangre, but Let's also point out that the fumble would not have made the game difference if the offense hadn't settled for three FGs against Georgia. Make that two TDs and a FG and it's till a W (and a National Championship).
I agree with you here, but the parallels between the two plays are just really easy to see, as are the consequences.

LC,

How bad are things in Gainesville? Just today I have received 7 emails from UF asking for money; these include emails from Steve Spurrier, Danny Wuerfel (sp), and Barbie (yes, the University president is named "Barbie"). Kinda disappointed that I didn't get one from Tim Tebow YET.

LC,

How bad are things in Gainesville? Just today I have received 7 emails from UF asking for money; these include emails from Steve Spurrier, Danny Wuerfel (sp), and Barbie (yes, the University president is named "Barbie"). Kinda disappointed that I didn't get one from Tim Tebow YET.
I get bombarded with about seven emails per day on and leading up to 40hrs for the Forty Acres. And not a single one is from VY.

73 ou score was close Sabre. Final was 52-13 .... just an awful game.

I remember where I was watching that 1973 debacle - Nacogdoches. Marty Akins trying to keep us in the game. My former HS teamate LB Sherman Lee was in his Sr. year at UT.

:facepalm:

Last edited:
If only he had been told not to field it. And the refs refused to call holding on Georgia on the their last drive.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back