Winter Storms, Summer Heat, and our 3rd World Electric System

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 Hook'em

Apparently the southern winds which usually come up from Gulf and dry the air at ground level are not blowing,
    Ugh

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

For the summer, the solution is more solar:

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It appears hydro, coal and nuclear are not graphed in the above graph (for the missing balance of ~25%).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

How do conclude from that graph that we need more solar? Look at those huge dips in the solar curve. People still need power during that dip and the dip starts WAAAY before the temperature starts going down. I have heard industry professionals talk about this being a huge problem with solar. Batteries are way too expensive to be a solution too. The only answer is deployable affordable natural gas, coal, and then nuclear. If all the capacity existing today was from deployable sources ERCOT would have no concern about meeting demand.

Anything other than 0 MWh of wind and solar added to the grid is betrayal of the people of Texas. Get ready to be betrayed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

To offset the wind loss during daytime, I thought that was obvious since that was the topic in the prior email. I said nothing about the issue you mentioned. This is twice you jumped on one of my posts for an imagined topic I did not comment on.

6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  7. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 1
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 Hook'em

Thank goodness rain hit Dallas area this afternoon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I actually prefer 110 and no humidity in Vegas to our weather...

I also have no problem with the ERCOT request, but I keep my thermostat around 80 and run the ceiling fans. Oh and I still have the down comforter on the bed...

• Like Like x 4
    • WTF? WTF? x 2
  10. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

And massive storm just blew through and took out power...guess I should blame ERCOT for a storm. Oh wait...this is normal with high winds. And I have the common sense to recognize such things.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Now heading to Houston. Woodlands soaking wet.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This is crazy

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Well...female...
    What do you actually expect?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Actually, I keep my house around 80 as well. No down comforter though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

What prior email? I can't include something that I am not aware of.

I know you didn't mention my point. I was raising my point to add some additional context to the discussion. I thought that was the point of these threads.

Grid professionals say that raising solar can help for peak times but there is a 1-3 hr window everyday where sunlight goes down before the temperature does. The person I listened to proposed batteries as a solution, but batteries are way too expensive. The flip side is that adding more solar does nothing for the winter storm events. Industry experts will admit they have no proposed solution for that using wind and solar. So even if you could solve the summer problem with more solar you will still have people freezing to death in the winter.

We need more natural gas, coal, and nuclear. Those sources can be deployed as needed. They also cost less when they are allowed to run at a steady state. Turning them off and on to compensate for wind and solar production degrades their efficiency and lifetime.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You hijacked my post about a specific point to make a bigger point about grid stability. You can do that on your own without replying to my post.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This is the prior post. More solar during the day offsets loss of wind during sunlight hours. Not every post about power production needs to be hijacked to make a point about grid stability.

• Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

And we have power again...yay us!

• Like Like x 4
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

So basically, we have a power grid that does just fine as long there isn't a lot of rain, wind, heat, or cold....

If it were up to me I'd have it at down at 60 in the winter, but yeah, that would freeze my wife (and child) out. And before that, it would have frozen one of my roommates out.

The only formula that works for me is the farther I get away from central Texas the better off my allergies are....

• Like Like x 1
  20. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Oh please. This had nothing to do with the ERCOT grid. We had winds north of 80MPH with IAH clocking 97.

Line failures are going to occur at those speeds which impact even areas like mine with underground lines.

From the crews I saw this AM, it looked like we had a lot of wind damage to a substation.

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

One of the costs to live in paradise.

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/11/08/power-grid-blackouts-texas/

Nov. 8, 2023

"A sweeping portion of the country that extends from Texas to the Canadian border is not adequately equipped for tough winter conditions, the North American Electric Reliability Corporation warned in a forecast released Wednesday.
    In Texas, where lawmakers vowed to fix their grid after dozens of Texans died during prolonged blackouts triggered by severe winter weather in 2021, the grid remains unstable heading into the upcoming cold season. NERC warned the state, where voters Tuesdayapproved a sweeping plan to fund more power generation, is at higher risk of energy shortages this winter than last because it is not bringing enough new power online to meet the state’s surging demand, and its existing infrastructure has not been adequately weatherized."

[​IMG]

23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Texas grid seeks more power capacity to avoid winter shortages

Oh, so NNNNOOOOOWWWWW we're seeking more generation capacity...

Well, maybe they've learned something since the last big freeze.

"Texas grid seeks more power capacity to avoid winter shortages"

"ERCOT's market notice said offers from mothballed or decommissioned units could include a more than 10% "Incentive Factor that reflects the revenues the unit owner determines would be necessary to bring the unit back to operation.""

24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Maybe these will work...

upload_2023-11-12_9-14-49.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  27. Horn6721

Horn6721 Hook'em

So ERCOT wants us to believe power plants that have been shut down can quickly be brought back online?
    And they haven't even started?:facepalm::brickwall::cursing2::smh::herring:

28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Your furnace comes on every year after being dormant for 8 months with zero maintenance. Maybe 2 months for a gas-powered power plant.

• Hot Hot x 1
  29. Horn6721

Horn6721 Hook'em

mc
    Yes.but some of the plants mentioned in link have been dormant for 5 years. I don't know much about how power plants operate but they seem like they might be more complicated than my furnace.
    If new parts are needed are they available.
    And from link have the RFP gone out? Have any been accepted ?
    Has any plant started rejuvenation yet?

30. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

What have they been doing since 2021? waiting for us to give them money via Prop 7?

• Hot Hot x 1