2023 BOWL SCHEDULE

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Dec 3, 2023.

1. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Lets go ok state!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yawn, slight interest in this one... go Okie Lite!

3. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Lots of awesome :rolleyes1: bowls upcoming. One has to wonder why they even happen. Obviously, money. Where does it come from when you have two 6-6 teams that very few care about?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

New Years Day kind of sucks except for Michigan-Alabama and Texas-Washington.

as for the rest of the bowl schedule … maybe I’ll watch OK State-TAMU.

And Georgia-FSU. Two teams that are probably PO’d about being shut out of the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  5. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Wonder how long that stellar FSU defense can keep them in the game - the FSU offense will be very hard-pressed to do anything against the Georgia defense. It would be nice to see the game remain competitive into the fourth quarter.

6. Giovanni Jones

Money, yes, and the GLAMOR of being in a BOWL!!!*

*one of 42 freaking bowls
    :lmao:

By contracts, when I was a freshman in high school 50 years ago, there were only eleven bowl games, total. No wonder they all felt so special back then.

From the 1973-74 season:

Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl, and Orange Bowl (Jan. 1)
    Sugar Bowl (Dec. 31)
    Bluebonnet, Gator, and Sun Bowl (Dec. 29)
    Peach Bowl (Dec. 28)
    Tangerine Bowl (Dec. 22)
    Fiesta Bowl (Dec. 21, in Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liberty Bowl (Dec. 17)

1973 College Football Bowl Games | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

And for the 1963-64 season there nine bowl games. Same list as above, minus the Fiesta Bowl and the Peach Bowl.

7. longhornlegend

Its definitely overkill. Teams at 500 should not be in the bowl games but as long as poor business decisions are made that keep funding these bowls, it wont change. The business world has a lot of people making money decisions that are not qualified to run a lemonade stand in a small neighborhood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Ole, Thanks for posting the schedule! It is my official reference point for the schedule and have referenced it several times

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

My pleasure. When I see how many Hornfans use it that makes it a worthwile project every year. It is my favorite place to look at the schedule also. Glad Dionysus supports it.

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Cure bowl in Orlando is being played in a downpour. 1.5” in 1st half alone.

11. Giovanni Jones

The mid-field logo looks like it might get kind of washed out. Oh dear.

12. Giovanni Jones

New Orleans Bowl heading into overtime.

13. WorsterMan

Tceh 24
    Cal 14

Halftime

• Like Like x 2
  14. longhornlegend

Hated to see tt win this one just because of what happened last year with Texas. tt has had penis envy of Texas for 20+ yrs. Leach had some good teams and that fueled the issue and Mack had turtle syndrome a few times as well. Either way after the b12 commish let his aligator mouth overload his canary *** I dont wish for any b12 teams to win other than Texas. Well maybe okstate to leave a skid mark on atm.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Tech may end up as the best program in the new B12.

16. longhornlegend

I believe Utah and ok state will hold that title. Who knows if cu will amount to much. Their qb is legit and if he has time to throw then they could be a factor but neon deons mouth is on overload from the day he was born. He was one of the best player in college and pros but not sure he is a worthy coach. His mouth is worthy but skills, who knows. His kids and hunter could have won in their division with almost zero help so its hard to judge his coaching ability. He sure ate crow this year and didnt like it.

17. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Aaron Rodgers made me root for Tceh this year.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. Giovanni Jones

"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven"
    ~ Satan, in Paradise Lost (John Milton)

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Am almost tempted to go to Bowl game in Frisco tomorrow.
    It is just so easy and convenient. You drive up and you are there. Kinda like SMU
    Nice stadium and it is the Roadrunners.

• Like Like x 1
  20. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  21. longhornlegend

Class act right there.

• Agree Agree x 5
  22. WorsterMan

Go Grizzlies!!

23. Giovanni Jones

I suppose we should all cheer for Minnesota today by virtue of the Golden Gophers being the only 5-win team to be invited to a bowl. (Out of necessity, apparently.)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  24. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Just curious how many of you watch these bowls with <7 win teams. Where does the revenue come from to support them?

25. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

This Tx State Rice game is basically a Texas HS All-star game.

• Like Like x 2
  26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

ESPN uses the games as inventory and sells the games to the sponsors. Then sells commercial time to the advertisers.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  27. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Took a look on the internet. Apparently the price to sponsor a bowl is a good deal considering the audience and also taking into consideration the number of times company is mentioned on national tv and the internet. Think about it they have three hours or so of commercial time. Each team is required to purchase x number of seats. Sponsors pay between 375 and 400 thousand to sponsor a bowl. Attendence is not much of a consideratin. The TV audience is the money maker.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  28. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

aggy vs osu will be the first bowl game I turn on this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. longhornlegend

These things have all been snoozers. No one goes and no one watches. Again, just dont understand companies wasting money sponsoring the loser bowls. My gut tells me the ROI is zero so whomever makes that decision better be the owner or they should be looking for a new job.

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I don’t think the sponsorship money is high (like $250-500k or such for the lower bowls). Most of the funding comes from espn selling television ads. I could be wrong but the sponsorship is not what funds the bowl.